Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrotrac AG

Hi,

I just got the Astrotrac AG and put it to use for 2 nights now but have some trailing of stars. Polar alignment was done with polaris and the second 'alignment star' with the supplied polar scope to the best of my ability. Do not know how to do drift alignment. The setup was on a Manfrotto 055 tripod, 410 junior head. Exposure time 5 minutes with on a Canon 550D and 100mm macro lens. Is this likely to be polar alignment error or within the limits tracking error of the Astrotrac? Thanks

Hi again,

I must make it clear that I don't own an Astrotrac ! I have however seen many being set up and used. As an outsider I can see what goes wrong very easily.

The tripod needs a very firm base. The geared head must be tightened up very carefully so as not to throw the alignment off. Oh, and to state the obvious, the camera and ball head should be prealigned on your area of interest so as not to disturb anything if poss.

I know Richard Taylor winds his Astrotrac forward about 15 / 20 mins on the screw before his first exposure. So if he does it.....

I've also watched Gain Lee using a Tak FS128 and a lathe chuck as a counter balance. It often takes him quite a few drift photos until he's happy. Also he sets his tripod as low as he can manage to polar align. Normaly on his back.

And lastly. The polar scope may need a tweek. Can't help with that one.

Dave.

Archived