NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright light.

While out on the Night of the 9th - 10th and waiting for the scope to cool for operation at about 23:20 rising from the South West (Ish) Horizon there was a bright light.

Mag wise it was equal to Saturn and Jupiter in the skies.

It rose up sharply and fast but dimmed the higher it got towards the Zenith. Lost it before it even got to the Zenith though.

Just wondering if anybody else saw this?

Was it the ISS?

Scot

Have you checked Heavens-Above Home Page

I saw the iss on Saturday at around 2240 and it was very bright, I could see both solar wings ( if that's what they are called ? Reflectors? ). It was easily the brightest I have ever seen it and I could see it from one horizonto the next.

Then at 2301 I had the pleasure of mag -7 iridium flare too. I was busy being. Bridesmaid at the time and it made the evening even more memorable.

The people I was stood with thought I was nuts I think.

Heavens above is very good :)

Had a look at Heavens Above just now but for the night of the 9th - 10th and the ISS passes were:-

9th 22:23 - 22:26

Add to that British Summer Time of +1 hour and it works out right.

Wow the first time i've ever seen the ISS.

Yippee :)

Had a look at Heavens Above just now but for the night of the 9th - 10th and the ISS passes were:-

9th 22:23 - 22:26

Add to that British Summer Time of +1 hour and it works out right.

Wow the first time i've ever seen the ISS.

Yippee :)

Your description sounds like it was the ISS but your times are wrong, the times quoted on Heavens Above are to BST.

Peter

The ISS moves generally eastwards or southeastwards across the sky

Oh... this rose from the South West and up towards the Zenith.

Your description sounds like it was the ISS but your times are wrong, the times quoted on Heavens Above are to BST.

So it was deffinately an hour after the ISS?

If it was an Iridium Flare then it's still a 1st for me to see. :)

Scot

Archived