NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DOB Mount.

Earl

I'm just checking with Orion to confirm which set i get, as i have a 305mm mirror in a tube which is 350mm.

I'm presuming the 300mm set is designed for a 300mm mirror and take the tube diameter into account, but just thought it best to double check.

Thought about doing this with my 200P. Orion said i'd need the tube rings for the 250mm size OTA and special trunnion blocks making up - £62.00. Hmmm.

After looking round the forums though I am going to do my own version of Rusty Springs Dobsonian mount using the PVC end stop caps (from Wickes) and teflon pads (Fantastic Plastic - Ebay shop).

Doc

I have started the wheels turning, I will update when I have progress with photos.

First purchase has been an extra set of Rings and Dovetail for the scope from Scopes n Skies Astro Boot.

Me too! I have gatherd together everything I think I need: MDF for the base and sides, some of those pvc end stops for the tube bearings (going to copy Rusty Strings fantastic design by using the existing tube rings!) and teflon pads. I even have an old Val Doonican LP for the base bearing!! I doubt my Dobsonian will look quite as good as Rustys but can't wait to get it made and try it out, he he!

Doc

First purchase has been an extra set of Rings and Dovetail for the scope from Scopes n Skies Astro Boot.

Lol, I was just going to tell you that they have 355mm rings on astro boot that fit the dovetail bar "sometimes also listed on astro boot" (the item right next to the rings) ;-)

Glad you like the design. I nearly put a second dovetail on the tube rings but the spare bits of MDF I had yelled at me to do something useful with them. When it came to painting mine, I gave it a coat of Rustins MDF sealer to help prevent damp damaging the MDF especially on cut edges and where the normal sealer coat that MDF comes with had been sanded off. I don't know whether it was absolutely necessary, but it seemed better to do it then, rather than having to fix water damage later.

Just a suggestion, there are a few people here fitting an azimuth setting circle to aid object location, I saw Doc's and was instantly convinced. Used with a wixey digital angle gauge for altitude, and you have a very effective "push too" system

Good use a of Val Doonican record by the way.

Thanks for the tip about using MDF sealer, that was kind of in the back of my mind to do something like that but I will now for sure - don't want my mount to go soggy!

I'll look ito the idea of the azimuth setting circle / digital angle gauge too, well, after ive actually built the mount that is!

Cheers

Doc (The other one!)

Archived