SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

can you do widefield with a canon 1000d

paulbeer

hi all i read jgs001 post on basic widefield with a camera and tripod can this be done with a canon 1000d and 18-55 ef lens.

Ive only ever used the camera in preset modes so can someone explain the following.

1, (Set the lens aperture to wide open) how do you do this on the 1000d.

2,(30 seconds at ISO800) what does this mean ?

3, (capture some Dark frames) again what does this mean ?

i feel really dumb having to ask these probably simple questions but i just cant seem to get my head around it ;).

Hi Paul, I'll answer the questions, but in a different order..

1) Set the camera mode dial to M (this is the preset controls). M means manual, you control the shutter speed and aperture settings.

2) Using the toothed wheel behind the shutter button, wind it till the shutter speed reads 30 seconds, this means the camera keeps the shutter open for 30 seconds.

3) (this is based on the 450d, so it might be a little different, but probably not much), press and hold the button on the back marked Av, and turning the same wheel, set the aperture to the smallest number.

4) Press the ISO button (on top, between the toothed wheel and the mode dial), set the ISO to a value of 800.

If you don't have a remote shutter release, you'll need to set the camera to operate in self timer mode to prevent you pressing the shutter button moving the camera during the exposure. One of the buttons ringing the set button, I think the one on the left.

5) Capturing dark frames. Put the lens cap on. Fire the camera with identical settings... so don't change anything.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Attached is a widefield of Ursa Major taken with a 1000D and the supplied EFS18-55 lens mounted on a standard photographic tripod. There are eleven 30 second shots only - no darks etc. The images were stacked in Deep Sky Stacker DeepSkyStacker - Free (free download) following this guide: Image Stacking Guide (usual disclaimers for both!)

Hope this helps you.

PS the photo's were taken when the sky was not properly dark!! (about 11.30gmt from mid Norfolk)

Oops forgot! ISO 1600

post-17157-133877461131_thumb.jpg

nice pic just hope i can do something like that.

just realized ive somehow lost the plate that attaches the camera to my tripod does anybody know where you can get these the tripod is the bresser 6000 (i know its not that good but its all i have lol)

thanks again for all you help ;)

Archived