NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Activity 07 Jul

brianb

Greyed out altogether on the 6th. Morning of the 7th showed frontal cloud clearing but with a strong showery westerly airstream it was a race between the high cloud thinning enough to allow observation (it seemed to be very reluctant to do so) and arrival of the showers.

Two additional handicaps, firstly a cooking related injury to my right hand :) and secondly an issue with the imaging computer - the microswitch in the "mouse button" is failing.;)

Anyhow I managed to obtain overview images.

Sun-100707-0911-CaK.jpg

0911 UT. Coronado PST CaK, prime focus, DMK41

Sun-100707-0931-Ha.jpg

0931 UT. Solarscope 60, 0.5x focal reducer, DMK41

The activity is almost all confined to the western region of the Sun. AR 11086 has a small bright plage but I could not see any sign of "visible light" spots. AR 11084 now nearing the limb, still seems to consist of a single well developed medium sized spot. There is a notable "large fat" filament following AR 11086, and another less well marked following AR 11084, the two appearing to form part of a circle with diameter about half that of the Sun.

The prominence on the WNW limb is very bright & may well be active. There are also "spike" prominences on the WSW and

SSW limbs, and a small prominence on the NNE limb.

With luck I may be able to obtain at least some larger scale images later in the day. There are occasional brief sunny intervals between the showers but the strong wind is not helpful.

Transparency fair but variable with drifting high cloud. Seeing moderate. Temperature 19C, wind W force 5-6 occasionally 7.

Archived