NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

decisions, decisions

ampleamp

The present Mrs Amp announced last night that she was quite happy for me to put up a shed/observatory. No doubt there will be a trade off, she just hasn't gone there yet.

Initially will be observing leading i hope to imaging. A number of options are available and i wondered what you would do -

1, we are knocking one shed down anyway and i could always put up a half wall dome thingy or a ROR etc on the top of the rebuild. Adv - very good allround visibility except to the east where the house would get in the way to approx 45 degrees. electric etc; disadv - expensive option and is a big advert saying what is in here!

2, a shed stuck in the corner of the garden, either ROR or split roof or whatever conversion the chippy outlaws and i come up with. Adv - much cheaper and wouldmore or less be hidden, very good views to east through north to southwest; south and southeast out of view to 45-50 degrees (house and a couple of trees), electric etc close by; disadv - the lack of south, south east viewing, a bit close to some security lights, (my own i can disable)

3, I am very lucky and can fence off and put a shed up in a field approx 200m from house. Adv - near perfect viewing in all directions down to 10 degrees (hedges); disadv - security, (the field has no direct road gate but the shed initially would be visible from the lane), battery power only

I have read with some interest the DIY observatory builds that are listed and hopefully picked up some tips, but as they say, location, location location!

Any advice/experience gratefully received, thanks, Alistair

You say elec is expensive, how far is it from the supply? You wouldn't want much juice, armour coated cable isn't expensive if you can find a decent supplier and under ground, mind you I did mine before all the jobsworth decided what can and can't be done, well my shed hasn't burnt down in the 20 years I did it, nor has the house. Obviously all correctly wired at the time, basically an extension of my socket ring and a fused spur for a light. If you want a couple of KW heaters in there then maybe it would be an issue.

Which location would you use more is probably the best question to ask.

thanks for replies, I do favour the field site but despite living in the country we have had to march people off our property in the past hence my concern on security.

re electric, needs to travel 200m (ish) to any field site, wouldn't be overly bothered about regs but as you say would need to be correctly wired - need to speak to an electrition re supply and whether above or below ground.

Mark - you ask a good question and I hadn't really considered it from that angle; i like to think that it wouldn't matter, but undoubtedly the garden site would get used more through sheer convenience

Alistair,

I think you are near the answer, build a pier out in the field for those really good nights when you need that extra horizon and treat it as a field trip. Some people have to drive miles to get such a location and its all portable.

Build a comfy Obs in your garden for routine observing/imaging, for me I think pref would be a good south and west view, eventually most things will be in that area at some stage throughout the year, and you can fall back on the field for those that aren't. If you want planets/lunar equatorial plain is a must and those views should help. Also being in the garden you are on hand for the wife, easier to pop in and out when imaging if you choose that route. Most people would rip their right arm off to have the choices you have. The latter would give you security too I guess or at least piece of mind.

Good luck.

Mark,

sometimes it helps to have an alternate view thank you; actually using something outways everything else, so the garden it is. If i can persuade SWMBO i may get a to put another pier in the field so long as the pre glue-factories don't damage it. Just got a manic work schedule, a holiday (hah!!) and play time with kids and i can crack on..

Gary,

thanks very much for that link, another astronomy site i hadn't come across!! i have pm'ed the op but could be 2nd in line, although, what a deal, the hard bit would be the concrete base, but would be worth the effort. Also, you have pm re pier (wrong thread i know!!)

Archived