Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to focus using DSLR

Abernus

Hi all,

I recently bought a canon T-ring from SlySi84 and bought a Canon nose to T adapter. I decided to try it out yesterday by taking an image of the Sun. I popped my camera directly to the focuser tube of my 6" Reflector and tried to get the sun in focus, but I couldn't. When I popped a 2x Barlow in and then the Canon in to this I was able to achieve focus.

My question is do I have to always use a Barlow lens to achieve focus or is it possible without and I just need to make some sort of longer or shorter tub?

Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but I just had to ask it.

Thanks

Sounds like the usual problem of the focuser body being too long to allow the DSLR to get "into" focus.

Usual solution is either to change to a lower profile focuser, or move the main mirror up the tube by 30 mm or so ( You may be lucky and find enough forward adjustment on the main mirror collimating bolts/ springs - worth a try)

Cheers for the responce. that sounds hard to do, is there anyone in the Durham area that is willing at some point to help me out with this. I don't fancy trying to move the mirror by myself as I don't fully know what I am doing yet.

Thanks.

Archived