Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I want a new apo

Apparently there is an FL102S on astro buy & sell. I have one and it is a fantastic scope - pinsharp stars and amazing views of the planets. I've only used it once for imaging but that went well and it will be my main imaging scope.

Dave

I'm not an expert in this, but I think you should approach it the other way round. Given your camera (and any future camera you may get), work out the focal lengths that give you 1-4 arc sec per pixel (check this, depends on planetary or stellar imaging). Remember this is probably after a focal reducer (to give you a flat field) so you will need to divide your answer by the FR factor to get the telescope focal length. With this focal length you can then work out the full field of view of the camera and see if it covers your targets of interest. Then you can search for telescopes with this focal length (ish) with whatever aperture you can afford.

Ian King imaging has the WO ZS80II for your price range. It's only a doublet but its a nice scope. You might be able to find a Meade 5000 triplet second hand for around the £500 mark and it gets great reviews as a proper 'APO'

A true apo is almost perfectly colour corrected. Perfect correction is impossible so the term 'apo' is not very scientific. The best ever acheived around 80mm is the Tak FSQ85ED at about three grand. Yes, that's bad! Move one down and you get the Borg system, still expensive. And then come the slightly less 'apo' apos, but don't discount them. I have seen wonderful images taken with SW 80s, even just the old gold ones. They are very good. All the doublets need flatteners so budget for that.

I'm not sure that the Meade triplet beats the SW80s but others will no doubt comment on that. However, theory comes second to practice so I would try to see images taken in all the scopes on your list.

Olly

looking the the televue 87 i think though its a doublet i think and the tak is only a 65 bud i like using the dslr though i would like to get in a bit closer than with the 70mm zenithstar how much inprovement will there be with my images from the doublet to triplet ????

Yeah, the TV's are doublets up to the NP models I think. Visually they are great to look through, but I haven't seen too many images taken, perhaps thats a clue in itself.

I suspect you would still need a field flattener / reducer to get crisp images to the edges.

The WO FLT98 gets great reviews and has many images taken through it but they are coming in at £1500, substantially more than your original budget.

I think if you were looking at scopes around £500, then looking at £1200 - £1500 is just going to tempt you to overspend!!

There's thin pickings at the end of the market you are looking at for triplets, as a result you may end up looking at doublets. You might be able to pick up an Equinox 100 for around the £750 mark or the Evostar 100 Pro for around the £600 mark.

I've also been looking into refractors for imaging soon and have thoughts similar to astrokat's. What are people's views on a WO Megrez 90? I know it's not a triplet but it is faster than the SWs and sits in a similar price bracket to Equinox 100mm.

I hope this doesn't complicate the issue.

Badger

Archived