Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which filter do I need??

The Baader one would be fine. Though I would see it as more specific to a reflector / SCT or MAK type scope. Re. the Skywatcher - I haven't tried that particular one! For your achromatic refractor another (perhaps better) possibility is the Baader Contrast Booster Filter.

Achromat & Semi-Apo filters

This will improve contrast and knock off some of the achromatic "purple haze" inherent to your Celestron 102... PLUS being rather effective on the orange street lighting above. :icon_scratch:

I like the Contrast Filter: "Does what it says on the tin" etc. You loose some light, inevitably, but at least it's "strong enough" to see if it's effective in your situation and whether you personally LIKE the result. :)

Cheers for the reply,

Looks interesting. So would this help with the horrible orange glow whilst improving contrast on planets?

How would it help when viewing DSO's? Also, would it be effective when doing simple imaging?

Gavin

I should do most of the things you want - including reducing the orange glow:

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/gemeinsame_dateien/download_filter/contrastBooster_e.pdf

It would be a useful accessory for simple astrophotography, which will certainly benefit from removal of the "achromat violet" and it will also protect the average Webcam from dust on the chip or the (any UV/IR) internal filter etc.

Archived