Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recognise this focal reducer?

Zeffer

I am not going to buy anything until I've chatted with Roger on Sunday, but this f3.3 focal reducer is on Astro Buy and Sell and he's emailed me a photo as he doesn't know what make it is.

Can anyone help? I don't want to fork out £50 if it's useless.

image.jpg

Yes, it's an Optec f3.3 reducer and Scopes'n'skies have one in their Bargain zone for £125, so £50 is a steal.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/second-user-bargains.html

How good it is i couldn't tell you :? But you can't use the Meade f3.3 with a DSLR and i'm guessing the same will apply to this reducer.

Here's the info from the S'n'S website:

The classic Optec f3.3 Maxfield focal reducer is a three element design, and is made for use on Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes. The focal ratio of the telescope is reduced by a factor of 0.33, e.g. an f/10 telescope becomes f/3.3. This unit will only work on telescopes from f/8 - f/12

Regarded by many to be the best focal reducer on the market. B&W CCD cameras will benefit from the use of the #8 yellow filter - included. Second-hand, A1 condition. Includes SBIG and SX adaptor rings.

Regards

Russ

Umm - yes, it's a Maxfield, but it was superceded by the NextGen, still one of the best though but should be used with the yellow filter. Optec supplied one with every reducer they sold. I have a Maxfield 0.5. I also would *not* recommend using it with a dslr - it was designed for the 285 class chips and will most certainly vignette the larger formats.

Arthur

Archived