Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which CCD, 8300 chip?

With so many manufacturers using this current kodak chip the choice has exploded over the past few months.

Obvious choices are sbig, atik, Orion, FLI, QSI and others no doubt all very worthy of consideration. However there is the dilemma there seems TOO much choice...:)

Has anyone got experience with any of the new CCD's and would they like to share?

I like the atik, not only because of it's aggressive pricing but it doesn't seem to suffer from any fogging issues that the sbig has had on a few cameras.

Any help or comments would be great guys, it's a big money outlay so I want to get the right one for me.

I've checked the resolution and it's between 1.2 to 2.2 arc seconds per pixel.

Thanks, Neil.

In anwser to my own question, I think I'll go for the atik. At that price it is a steal. Good quality build, low read noise, ideal.

Just need to grab one before they all sell out again....:)

Thanks, Neil.

just be aware that the different models have different mechanical constraints. electrical issues are not the only thing to worry about. The Atik claims to give an un-vignetted view with 31mm filters. Does it? At what f-ratio will you be working? Check that you can use the smaller filters or there will be another big expense.

Dennis

just be aware that the different models have different mechanical constraints. electrical issues are not the only thing to worry about. The Atik claims to give an un-vignetted view with 31mm filters. Does it? At what f-ratio will you be working? Check that you can use the smaller filters or there will be another big expense.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

As I don't have any filters at the moment, I'll go for 2" ones anyway. My main reason is h alpha so maybe another £160 for a decent filter and I'm all set to go...:)

I'll be using it maily for my pentax 75 @ 500mm, then my pentax 105 @ 680mm, then my tak 130 @ 1000mm, probably will bin on the tak.

Thanks, Neil.

I'm in no rush to go for a mono CCD so I am waiting to see how they shakeout...

Would be great if there was ever an 8300 shootout.... in the mags...

Peter...

Hi Peter,

Well it is nebula season, and with a h aplha filter connected I'll be happy as Larry.....:)

I have heard of fogging/frosting issues on the sbig which put me off to be honest, oh and the price as well.

For anyone looking at the moment the choice of good quality CCD camera's is pretty good. Thought it about time I stepped up from the dslr.

Thanks, Neil.

The Atik does have some vignetting, I have noticed using 1.25" filters, but it does depend on F Ratio and spacing of course. at F6.2 on the TMB it's there, and can be flat fielded out, but marginally more noticeable than the Atik 4000 I found. Ideally 2" filters will give the best range of results with no vignetting.

It's a good camera at that price, no doubt at all

Archived