Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh the potential....

Last night I proved a few things:

I have some way to go before my set up and imaging expertise can handle imaging at a focal length of 2.8m ;)

That results which vary so wildly between even consecutive subs are the most frustrating to deal with :D

But that if I can crack the above problems the results could be awesome :(

Here's a quick process on the best 12 subs from 60 (and this was setting the standard for stacking VERY low ;))

I thought my polar alignment was pretty good, and I balanced and tightened everything, but still significant shake and drift, and with the occasional sub that loks quite good :D.

I'm about to head out to the Obs to have a look in daylight to see what might be causing the movement in and between subs. Any suggestions on things to look for would be welcomed!

If I can't see anything obvious it will have to wait until darker nights, and I'll probably give the C11 another night on globs and galaxies for visual before changing to a smaller more forgiving imaging scope.

Helen

post-13020-133877452512_thumb.jpg

On this evidence, you have good reason to be very optimistic Helen.

Excellent Glob Pic. and if you can highlight the culprit/s that gives you the movement headache, then all systems will surely be GO.

Good luck in tracking it down.

Ron.

Well done... its certainly a challenge ... I did try some F30 with the 8" SCT once way to long and too slow for my setup...

What were the sub lengths and What were the guiding details did you capture any guide logs?

As well as looking listen for creaks, groans and clicks....

Peter...

The wind could well be the biggest culprit in respect of blur caused by shaking bits.

Drift could be caused by flexure between guide scope and imaging scope, assuming you are guiding.

Is the mount on a pier or a tripod? Does the floor move?

Dennis

Thanks all. The subs were 15, 20 or 30s all unguided. I haven't got a dual system for the C11 yet - maybe an off-axis set up would be best?

The celestron dovetail does mean that there is a lot of vibration o focus etc, so maybe wind may have been a factor.

Its all pier mounted Dennis and the concrete pier base is isolated from the obs floor pad.

We went out to enjoy the sun this afternoon, so haven't done my investigation yet... (might do some PST stuff first though :D)

Helen

I bought an OAG primarily for use with the SCT for longer FL imaging I haven't really used it much in anger for imaging but it was a frustrating beast to setup...

We didn't get the weather during the spring to try ita nd now the clear nights are too infrequent and too short to spend much time on it... I did set it up again last weekend so might give it ago again soon...

Peter...

Archived