Moisture and OTA

Hi,

Another newbie here. I recently purchased a used LX200 10". On close inspetion, I am seeing small blotches of what would appear to be almost mildew like growths on the inside of the corrector. Knowing they are there is driving me crazy, but everything I read about cleaning says - DON"T!

While I am mechanically enlcined enough to follow procedures I have found, I keep remembering the DON"T!

If these blotches ARE midlew, 1) will they get worse, and 2) what are they doing to the coating on the corrector?

I keep the scope on a screend covered porch. I figure taking it from the air conditioned house to the humidity outside is asking for condensation in the tube. Is keeping it outside in a sheltered but not environmentally controlled area good or bad?

I have only had one eveinging outside with the scope and have watched Venus set, spotted Mars, and Saturn with it's edge on rings with several moons. I was fortunate enough to manually find what I believe to be the Hercules cluster which was phenomenal!

My scope has a bad RA drive (I hope that's all) so everything is star hopping for now.

If any of you out there are in the north western VA area, are there any clubs out this way?

Hmm

There's definately something there on the inside...

I'd remove the corrector and give it a good clean.

After cleaning, make up a dessicant plug to remove any residual moisture in the future. It can sit in the focuser between use.

I am in no way an expert on this and am new to this game too but there is a bigger mark on your first photo that looks like an early stage of the problem I had with my MAK 127 (dew stains). The difference is that my scope came with just a few marks on it like yours (perhaps my scope had been used before!) and I was able to send it back (eventually after the problem got much worse and I put up a fight).

I would call the seller and at least tell them about the problem and that you will send it back if it gets worse. I insisted on getting mine changed as I read that as soon as you start cleaning the mirrors your gonna rub of some of the coatings and your scope will never quite be the same again.

One thing I always do now though is when I take the scope back inside I keep the dust caps off for a while and have the scope pointed down a bit. Moisture always forms on my mirror when I come back inside but this seems to help stains from forming and getting a grip on things.

Thaniks Steve1976. Unfortunately, my LX is second hand and has some years on it. Whatever is going on is going to be on me to resolve.

I have decided to keep the scope on my screened porch to eliminate the condensation issues with taking it in and out of the house. Our porch is large enough I can position it that it is not subject to weather - other than the ambient air.

I agree, everything I read says unless there is substantial impact to the optics and visual quality - DON'T CLEAN ANYTHING. I am fearful this is some kind of biologic (mold or mildew) that can get larger and potentially be "eating" the coating. I am still reading up on it and asking here and other web sites and any expert that will listen.

Steve S.

Archived