Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Omni 4mm EP.

I'm just wondering if this EP would be any good on planets with my 130P scope?

I've used a 6mm+2x barlow with the scope on planets and the views were ok........seeing conditions were not the best. I was thinking if i get a 4mm EP and not use the 2x barlow that there would be a slight improvement in the image (162X)?. Hopefully seeing will be better during the summer also.

I know the eye relief on this EP is very short and the exit pupil is even smaller but i'm ok with that because i reckon with regular usage that i will get used to it. I had a 4mm Plossl EP very early on when i started observing but it quickly broke even before i could really use it (my fault). Now i'm using a 130P scope i'm thinking the Omni will work better then the 4mm EP i had when i used my 90EQ.

I've read that the Omni series EPs are a step up from the SW EPs. I kinda like the SW EPs.............so the Omni should be fairly good........by no means brilliant.

Thanks.

P.S.~~~i'm not looking for alternative suggestions this time because i have already agreed the purchase of the Omni 4mm.

I think the Omni's are made by GSO and their plossls are pretty good so I reckon you can look forward to some decent high power views.

Your scope should be fine at 162x - Jupiter will look great with that !.

Yeah the Omni look pretty similar to the Plossls in my Celestron EP kit (except for the silver colour). I'm pretty sure both are made by GSO...........the only difference is price. The Omni is more expensive then the Plossls in the EP kit. I paid slightly over the odds for the Omni because i had to purchase it from an Irish dealer because my VISA is out of action (Lost) so i cant shop online outside of Ireland (apparently Ireland is the only country in the world to use the Laser Debit card.............even though it is also a Maestro debit card which i can use in any ATM in Europe to withdraw cash................which i have done in several European countries..............and been hammered for commision).

Thanks John. I was a bit worried that my fuzzy logic was incorrect and that the EP was a waste of money. Glad to know that i will get some use out of it. I really only had planets in mind when buying it.

I've only observed Jupiter with a 9mm Celestron kit EP before and LOVED it. The banding was very clearly visible. So i am hoping that with a slightly more expensive 4mm EP that it will be better. The same for Saturn.

It should be good on the moon also. The 6mm (plus my TAL 2x) i have gives me great views of really fine detail under good seeing. I really just want to push the boat out a bit more and grab that little extra magnification (althought i will try it...............i dont expect to use the 4mm+2X). That would be pushing my scope up to what.......................325X. Not gonna happen from my location with my gear.

Thanks. You have set my mind at ease.

Archived