Drift align + obsy?

Hi

I have a chance to build an obsy in the garden, but the only site for it cant see north so cant polar align, is it easy to do a drift align on the pier to be accurate even though i cant see polaris?

if not i can just put a pier in the middle of the garden, but then i cant leave things set up and not have the benefits of an observatory

:D

Yes is the answer!

I have a 12" lx200 on a wedge in my Argos TSO (Tin Shed Observatory) and can't see Polaris.

Just set the mounting roughly north/ south using the direction of the sun at noon, or by compass, then do your drift alignment.

Once done correctly, you'll probably never need to do it again.

Ken

Yes. I've just built my own obsy, and the northern view is completely obscured.

I just made sure when I built the pier that the plate which holds the mount was oriented exactly due north (used the shadow of a vertical stick at midday to get it right, taking into account my longitude causing the local time to be a few minutes ahead of Greenwich. Close enough! ). Then just drift aligned to get it spot on.

Takes a bit of practice, but once you've learnt it you never forget.

Archived