Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Activity 28 May

brianb

A short break between showers allowed overview images but no closeups to be obtained this morning. I hope to add closeups later.

The big prom seen by many observers yesterday persists. The plage in the north east does not appear to be developing into a major active area. A small bright plage just east of the meridian in the southern hemisphere looks interesting... meanwhile AR 11072 is decaying as it approaches the south west limb.

Sun-100528-0859-CaK.jpg

0859 UT. Coronado PST CaK, prime focus, DMK41

Sun-100528-0905-Ha.jpg

0905 UT. Solarscope 60, 0.5x focal reducer, DMK41

Transparency good (in hole between shower clouds), seeing moderate. Temperature 15C, wind NW force 2-3.

Hi,

Just had a quick peek through my small refractor and there seems to be a small sunspot near the lower lower limb, right hand side through the refractor. Haven't looked for a few days, is this related to the group which has been transiting or something different?

is this related to the group which has been transiting

The spot associated with active region 11072 is easily visible at the south west (bottom right) limb in my CaK image above ... this is very likely the spot which you're seeing.

BTW the weather here has deteriorated & I now doubt that I will be able to get close up images today.

Archived