Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick QHY9 Mono review.

I have recently purchased and had my first lights on a new QHY9 mono + QHY 2 inch filter wheel set as well as even managing some half decent images with it already. Now I am by no means an expert on astrophotography or astro CCD cameras, this is my first, but I thought I would share my intial experiences of this CCD combo with you incase anyone else is considering one as I was.

I initially picked up a telescope for the first time in May 2009 and immediately wanted to get into astrophotography, so my Sony DSLR attached to my scope. This rapidly was replaced with an EOS 350D and EOS 1000D, both modded. So I had a years worth of imaging experience under my belt before I took the plunge into CCD. I was confused about all of the CCD choices out there such as mono and single shot colour, along with all the differing brands, that it was hurting my poor head. But i had made the decision to go for CCD and now which one to choose was tough.

My criteria was simple, it needed to be a big chip and under £2000 all in. Well eventually after chatting with some people on SGL and a lot of reading, I opted for the QHY9 mono and filter wheel with 2inch LRGB filters. The order was placed with Bern at Modern Astronomy along with a AC adapter and splitter cable (to power the ccd and filter wheel on same ac adapter) and the bill came to just shy of £1800 delivered. At this point I must publically thank Bern who had several conversations with me regarding my choices and was extremely patient and professional with me regarding my purchase. Bern had the order turned around amazingly quickly from the suppliers in a matter of 4 weeks. A simply brilliant service and a model for all businesses out there to follow.

Upon opening the box I was amazed at the amount of boxes and wires, but soon had it setup on my laptop in the living room with the Ascom Drivers for the CCD and filterwheel. The ascom drivers are simple and easy to install and worked first time with MaximDL so I expect no problems with other software. The wheel was setup with the LRGB filters (these did require a clean) and attached to the ccd. All attachments for a 2inch focuser were supplied plus extra parts. The 2inch filters were the screw in type for the wheel (nice) and clips were also supplied for other types. I would also recommend getting a splitter cable to power the ccd and wheel off the same supply.

Amazingly, the first night was the beginning of the high pressure over the UK and I got 3 nights playing with dark, albeit short night skies. A little bit of MaximDL learning soon had me taking my first shots and testing the software / processes out. I attached it all to a Skywatcher ED120 Pro Diamond refractor at 900mm F7.5 with a ED80 + QHY5 guide on HEQ6Pro mount.

First impressions were that it was very quiet, even with the fan on full cooling (managed from +20 to -40 degrees centigrade no problems within 5 minutes of powering up. The shutter gives this nice sliding click rather than an abrupt thud that the dslr's did. The images were noticeably better than the 1000D even under 80% moon. Infact my first venture into ccd could not have gone smoother with absolutely no problems other than my mistakes in MaximDL.

Basically the camera behaved flawlessly and did exactly what I expected of it.

I few things I have learnt since though that I will let you in on.

1. The QHY9 has a bad reputation based on the first versions that had shutter and misting problems. These were very quickly resolved in the next versions from the suppliers, however people tend not to look at the dates on the forum threads and mud sticks. Infact most of these stories are over a year old. I too read these stories, then also read the replies and experiences over on the QHY forum before making my purchase. Bern from Modern then endorsed these findings after a lengthy chat with him. This is a cheap large chip CCD and works perfectly, beautifully made and solid with good drivers and support.

2. Taking flats IS a pain. Because of the mechnical shutter, you need your flats to be over 2 seconds in exposure time otherwise you get shutter interaction on your flats. This means your constant light source needs to be dim, very dim. So putting a laptop screen with notepad maximized will not work, nor will EP panels as 2 seconds worth will flood the chip. I found that taking flats in the dark, with 2 layers of white teashirt and a dim laptop screen about 2 inches away from the scope gave me about 3/4 well depth with 4 second exposures and nice flats.

3. Be careful of powering up and down. Warnings are given about the order in which to connect the ccd, usb and power. I have done it wrong once and nothing happened, but warnings are there for a reason normally.

4. The LRGB fiters supplied do a great job of blocking out a lot of the light pollution out there. On my 1000D without a LP clip filter, 5 minutes exposure was hard, but with these QHY filters, 5 minute exposure as much better, on a par with the Astronomik LP clip filter I used to use.

5. Leave the camera for an extra 10 minutes after the cool down point has been reached. It is recommended all over the net as sometimes the reading in Maxim / ascom isn't quite stable. I encountered no such problems, but still followed this advice.

6. File sizes are about 18mb unbinned with downloads of about 10seconds, 5mb 2xbinned with about 3 second download times.

Overall, well I am not an expert on pixels, depth etc, but for me as a complete ccd newbie, I have found the QHY9 mono + filter kit amazingly good, simple, well built and easy to use. But the main thing is the pictures are simply superb with pin point stars across the field, good colours and detail.

The following threads show my first two images using the setup. Neither of these shots have darks applied, only the second has bias and flats.

Remember these are my 1st two LRGB pictures with a new format and new software/ processing skills so don't expect masterpieces :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/104606-my-1st-ccd-lrgb-image-gentle.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/105034-still-learning-ccd-qhy9-bodes.html

Cat

Nice one this was a good read

3. Be careful of powering up and down. Warnings are given about the order in which to connect the ccd, usb and power. I have done it wrong once and nothing happened, but warnings are there for a reason normally.

What would happen if this is used with an automated setup then? If the power to the whole mount & CCD was switched on and off via scheduling?

4. The LRGB fiters supplied do a great job of blocking out a lot of the light pollution out there. On my 1000D without a LP clip filter, 5 minutes exposure was hard, but with these QHY filters, 5 minute exposure as much better, on a par with the Astronomik LP clip filter I used to use.

Useful to know, when I go mono I was thinking about using a CLS instead of the Luminance

pin point stars across the field, good colours and detail.

Are you using any kind of flattener with the ED120?

Nice one this was a good read

What would happen if this is used with an automated setup then? If the power to the whole mount & CCD was switched on and off via scheduling?

The manual recommends connecting the USB 1st, then the power cable then the AC power to help prevent power surges. Read into that what you like, but I have done it the wrong way with no problems.

Useful to know, when I go mono I was thinking about using a CLS instead of the Luminance

Me too, but with a LP CDD inbetween all the optics. But Bern convinced me to try without 1st and save about £150 notes and I am glad he did even if it did cost him a £150 order.

Are you using any kind of flattener with the ED120?

No straight as a prime lens. The ED120 pro Diamond is a good refractor though so I spose on other scopes you may need one due to the optics.

My comments in RED

• 4 years later...

Archived