Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8" Meade LX5

Hi all,

I have spotted what looks like a bargain on a second hand site and was wondering if anyone had any experience using this scope. I am looking at using it for some basic webcam imaging and have a budget limit of £400.00. Does this sound like a good second hand price? The internet does not seem to yield very much info on this particular scope so I am guessing that it might be quite old. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I used an 10" lx5/ Lx6 for a few years ( like ten years!) before changing over to the 12" Lx200.

Nothing wrong with the optics - first class!! the dec drive was a PITA and getting the handcontroller modified to accept ST-4 guiding was a challenge.

If the price is right they are still a good sct!!!!

Any specific questions, drop me a PM.

Ken

Hi, if you do a search for " Rod Mollise " you will find his " Astroland ", all things SCT old & new. Click on " Uncle Rods used SCT buyers guide " it's a free download, click on the cat, ( The other links are to buy books mostly ) Ed.

Thanks for that.

I found the guide you mentioned... a really good read. Something in the back of my mind tells me to stick with a new Skywatcher Skymak 127 GOTO though, perhaps because at least I will be covered by warranty. This will be my first go at planetary imaging so I dont want to get over ambitious.

Archived