NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another EP Question!

I know i know! yet another EP question, but need your help.

My scope has a long focal length F15 and my big one im thinking of buying will be F10 with this in mind would it be worth me splashing out the cash on Tele Vue Naglers or would the Hyperions give comparable views?

The 3 makes im looking at are:

Tele Vue Nagler and panoptics

Hyperions

and

TMB Planetary clones

Comments welcome :)

I am no expert but my philosophy is that I'd sooner buy things once. On this basis I concluded that no matter what scope I have I can always use TV eyepieces so they are all keepers. You can get used and almost new condition TV eyepieces for not 'that' much more than eg new Hyperions. I got my Radians for just over £100 used and my Powermate for about the same. OK the Panoptics were a bit more expensive but again not massively and as I'll be keeping them 'forever' (note to self - reminder - never look through an Ethos even when the opportunity arises) the cost eventually fades as Henry Rolls says below. I think used Naglers are another notch up in price from the Radians but then if you buy maybe three plus a Powermate you can cover almost everything magnification-wise.

I am sure others will disagree but this is how I decided.

I am no expert but my philosophy is that I'd sooner buy things once. On this basis I concluded that no matter what scope I have I can always use TV eyepieces so they are all keepers. You can get used and almost new condition TV eyepieces for not 'that' much more than eg new Hyperions. I got my Radians for just over £100 used and my Powermate for about the same. OK the Panoptics were a bit more expensive but again not massively and as I'll be keeping them 'forever' (note to self - reminder - never look through an Ethos even when the opportunity arises) the cost eventually fades as Henry Rolls says below. I think used Naglers are another notch up in price from the Radians but then if you buy maybe three plus a Powermate you can cover almost everything magnification-wise.

I am sure others will disagree but this is how I decided.

Agree tele vue's are a great EP but just wondered if there would be a noticable improvement in view. if its only small then i cant justify the additional cost. If you can clearly see the difference then i have no problem paying the extra.

I suspect with the scopes you mention there will not be a considerable improvement unless you go for Naglers (or even Ethi) which give a wider field - this could be important, especially if you are using SCTs. I've never used a Nagler but find the 60/68 degrees of the Radians and Panoptics just matches my eye well (for now).

Agree tele vue's are a great EP but just wondered if there would be a noticable improvement in view. if its only small then i cant justify the additional cost. If you can clearly see the difference then i have no problem paying the extra.

I've seen this question, or variations of it, asked over and over and over again. In truth it's impossible to answer I think - everyones preferences, tolerances, idea of value for money, etc, etc are different so the answer will be different for everybody.

I've used a number of cheap, medium priced and, pretty expensive eyepieces in a variety of scopes and, personally, I'm prepared to fund the relatively subtle improvements that the expensive units deliver but that probably would not be the conclusion that another person came to, for equally valid reasons.

I guess that everybodys "£ - performance" exchange rate is different !.

The general rule is that slower scopes benefit less from expensive eyepieces though.

Yeah ive heard that 68degree is maximum you can see without moving your eye. Not sure if thats true?

I think that's right and it feels right when using the scopes I have. The 2" SWAN 33mm I have but have sold, gives a 70 degree field I think and this and the 35mm Panoptic I have (again second hand - but is wrapped up until Father's Day - how frustrating is that??) both fill the eye although I reckon in reality you can only take in about 50% of the field with any sharpness and you can move your eye about to see the rest unless you are great at peripheral vision - it works well for averted vision of course. I think with the Naglers and wider you end up tilting your head to see the edges of field which I bet you get used to quickly. Never used them though.

Archived