Celestron Astromaster 130eq MD any good?

Hi All,

I have been trying to decide on a scope for a while now and my wife (bless her) has bought me a scope from Amazon. Its a Celestron Astromaster 130eq MD so all I want to know is it a dog of a scope and should be sent back or as a first scope for a novice is it worth keeping. Your opinions are most welcome.

Thanks vey much in advance.

I dont want to spend a fortune on something that may end up gathering dust in a couple of months so what I want to know will this suffice for learning the sky, give me decent views of the planets and stars before I decide to upgrade in the future.

I own one and yes they are more than ok for what I need!

I'm not into astrophography so did not opt for the motorised version.

I mainly use mine for lunar and planetary objects. The moon is fabulous through the scope, I have only looked at Saturn and ok, it does not fill the view but then, for storage wise the 5.2 dia is perfect for me and my house!

So yeah I am well an amateur but I will settle for this scope for my heavy LP location for a while.

I think your wife did very well for a scope-pressie for yer. :)

Brendan - biased for sure!! :D

Hi Grumpy, I have the Skywatcher 130p that Peter mentioned and can confirm that both are very good starter scopes, you wont be disappointed. If you download a program called stellarium Stellarium its a program that will give you real time views of the skies in your location, best of all its free :)

Brett

Wow I'm impressed...not about the scope, but a wife that buys you one! I only need to mention the 'T' or 'A' word and my missus starts snoring.

I'm sure your scope will be a good starter scope for the price and with the motor drive you will be able to track objects once you find them. Of course it's at the budget end of things, but it all depends on how much you want to spend to start off the hobby.

I have the none motorised version and it is fine...

You will need a smaller eye piece than the provided 10mm and 20mm though

I got two skywatcher ep's from FLO

(1 25mm and a 6.3 mm plossl) for 40 quid and am happy now

a rigel quickfinder is better than the rdf that is on the scope too

It is a great little scope and you will be pleased with it I am sure

Archived