Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best night so far :)

Bender

Since i started stargazing two months ago i was bit disappointed as i expected to see more from my 10" dob in my garden.

The only deep sky objects i was able to find were M44 and M67 in cancer.

But than mind ni just started learning the constellations.

Yesterday night with the moon in the sky i first just went for a stroll over the moon, trying to identify craters with the old batered Rukl i bought after an recommendation here.

With new constellation up compared to 4 weeks ago when i had the last chance to go out i thought it might be pointless with the moon up, but there he was, the global cluster in Hercules :)

I wasnt able to disolve any stars with the 13mm and 9mm, but that was probabely due to the moonlit sky.

As i felt lucky i went further north to find the Ring Nebula in Lyra, and again there he was :D I could improve the view slightly with my new Lumicon UHC filter (or maybe it was just wishfull thinking to justify the investment :headbang: ).

So i finaly went back in after 3 hours, glad that my garden has in the end more to offer than i thought.

Nice report. I have also ordered that moon book!

That globular does look better without the moon. It is quite amazing the difference a bright moon makes to fainter objects...

The ring nebular is also quite facinating...I have used bigger and bigger scopes on it and it is definitely more detailed in the 10 inch.

You could also try M27 below albeiro (the nice double star) as it gets a little higher. This is a nice shaped nebular. Also try a few of the other globulars, many are up at the moment M3,M5 and a few in Ophiuchus..

Also have a look for some carbon stars. There are some really deep red colours out their. There is one near Vega. I am sure you could find it on a star atlas...

Another challenge is that it does not get dark until 11pm now!

Mark

Bender give it time and learn the skies and you will find the more constellations you know the more objects you will see. A 10" dob will enable you to see all Messiers and most of the Herschel objects it's knowing where to look thats hard.

Archived