Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Comms Issue

I have a comms issue that I'd like to share to see if anyone has any ideas.

I normally setup with laptop/usb-serial dongle/10m serial cable/SW serial-handset cable/handset/handset-EQ6 cable/EQ6. This works flawlessly with the handset in pc-direct mode, controlled by the laptop running Starry Night/EQMOD.

I have read that controlling the EQ6 directly is more reliable, using something like the EQDIR module. I have tried four alternative configurations, none of which seems to work reliably. Sometimes it seems to connect, then loses connection. Then sometimes it doesn't connect at all. Sometimes it works for a short time then stops working. The four configurations are:

1 Laptop/usb-serial dongle/10m serial cable/EQDIR module/EQ6

2 Laptop/usb-serial dongle/EQDIR/10m serial cable/EQ6

3 Laptop/TTL232R(5V) usb-serial dongle /10m serial cable/EQ6

4 Laptop/10m USB repeater cable/TTL232R(5V) usb-serial dongle/EQ6

I presume its something to do with the long serial cable (it works with the handset in pc-direct though). I've not had a chance to try without the cable. I don't want to ruin an evenings work if it fails during a session. I would welcome any comments opinions on the setup and possible solutions.

The EQDIR module, they say, should be as close to the mount as possible.

Looking at your configurations I'd say # 1 looks identical to my set up (Keyspan USB> serial) and, touch wood, works 100%

#4 set-up should also work well...

If pain persists, and you've had ongoing success with the handcontroller/ PC Direct....I'd stay with it and worry about the EQDir when you get bored and there's nothing else to play with;)

Ken

Thanks for your reply. I set up early last night with setup #3 and #4 to try my newly arrived TTL232 dongle. Although I seemed to be able to connect to the EQ6 (SN showed 'connected' on COM13, EQMOD showed correct RA/Dec), it would not slew to a target, just sat there tracking close to polaris (home position). Same for both setups. Also, the gamepad didn't seem to work either. SN then seemd to disconnect itself. Reconnected the SW handset with PCdirect and everything OK again :).

Will have to try the short cable option sometime to prove the system works. Problem is that is impractical for me in a normal session the way I have everything set up:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/102899-typical-nights-setup-ba-towers.html

Have to stay warm :D

Archived