Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fra Mauro and suroundings

Bizibilder

Last night was clear and steady and I went out to observe with a plan! It finally paid off after an hour and a half of total concentration at the eyepiece, broken only by the need to change batteries in my drawing light!! For once I am reasonably happy with the result but it is going to take a lot more practice to get the subtlety of shading right.

The original was redrawn this morning to give the image attached here.

SW Evostar 120 x200. N at top E to the left.

post-17157-13387744949_thumb.jpg

This is great... very accurate! :)

Yeah, 90 minutes to 2 hours sounds about right. Why did you re-draw the sketch in the morning, though? If the dew wrinkled the paper up, you might try sitting under a patio umbrella.. makes a world of difference. :D

(btw, East is left :headbang: )

Oops! sorry about the E/W - I still get confused using the diagonal!

I always re-draw the sketches that I make at the eyepiece. They tend to be quite large and end up with all sorts of sub-sketches and notes all over them! Its just the way I work. I then sit down at the desk and re-draw the whole thing combining all the information that I have on the original. (I always keep the original sketch!) I realise that this is creating second generation images but I find that doing it this way works for me. It also allows me to cheat a little as I tend to trace a very faint outline of the feature from a map, the idea being that this "removes" any cartographical errors!! I then use this to render the final image.

It also allows me to cheat a little as I tend to trace a very faint outline of the feature from a map, the idea being that this "removes" any cartographical errors!! I then use this to render the final image.

No wonder you're so accurate.

I can justify my cheating!! My aim, whilst learning my way around the Moon, is to draw as many features as I can in order to "fill in" a line drawing map that I have (about 25" diameter). After scanning the drawings I can make them the right size and digitally "stick" them on the map - one day I will have done the whole Moon!!!!

Archived