NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor upgrade for a ED100R - discuss

Hi All. Had a new ED100R since Christmas. Using for planetary viewing and have really become hooked. Saturn is fab and Mars is/was good even given poor size of late. I'm purely a Mark 1 eyeball guy. Was thinkin thru a possible trade to a larger "frac" and wondered wot may be worth switching to. Quite happy with a 2nd hand purchase and shall I set the budget as £1000. If less, all the better. Would I need something substantially bigger to improve on my current weapon of choice, along with the inherent cost implications.

Thx in advance as always. John

I have an 4" ED refractor and a 6" achromatic refractor. The 6" does show more than the 4" obviously but I would not say it "blows it away" by any means. On DSO's and splitting close double stars the extra aperture makes a difference but on the moon and planets the difference is less marked. I guess if I could afford a 6" ED refractor there may be more of a difference.

For planetary performance an 8" F/6 newtonian will out perform both on most nights, is afforable and, in dobsonian form, easier to manage than a 6" refractor.

If you want to stick to refractors, I made the transition from much-loved ED100 to much-worshiped ED120 (Equinox). Yes, only 20mm aperture difference, but yes also a noticeable improvement in viewing quality. I was wary at first, but the truth was quickly revealed to me - the path from 100mm ED to 120mm ED is worth following.

I have an 4" ED refractor and a 6" achromatic refractor. The 6" does show more than the 4" obviously but I would not say it "blows it away" by any means. On DSO's and splitting close double stars the extra aperture makes a difference but on the moon and planets the difference is less marked. I guess if I could afford a 6" ED refractor there may be more of a difference.

For planetary performance an 8" F/6 newtonian will out perform both on most nights, is afforable and, in dobsonian form, easier to manage than a 6" refractor.

C'mon John, you know any comparsion of planetary detail using 2 scopes must contain the phrase "blows it away".

Thems the rules!!:D

C'mon John, you know any comparsion of planetary detail using 2 scopes must contain the phrase "blows it away".

Thems the rules!!:)

I HATE the phrase THB Gaz but it's like a vintage car - it needs to be given a run out now and again :D

Archived