Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar Hand control with Skywatcher 250p auto

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me! I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 250p auto Dobsonian which has a tracking only hand set, I want add a goto function so I've been looking into getting a Celestron Nexstar hand set:

Celestron Nexstar Hand Controls Flash Upgradeable NXS0403 [Celestron-NXS0403] - £132.07 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

The guy at the store said that it's not compatible however I am sure I've read somewhere is can?!

if not does anyone know the cheapest was to add a goto function to my 250p

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

Thanks.

there were a few threads on here while back about this here is one of them, I dont have a lnk to the other that I remember, though I recall it did have some lovely pictures of the dob that had been modified to goto.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/85173-goto-skywatcher-flextube-auto-dobs-reality.html

As I remember, the consensus seemed to be that plugging in a skywatcher synscan handset would make your dob goto - as long as you use an alt/az handset, not an equatorial one, but there were concerns about the accuracy on small percentage of scopes due to there being some play in some of the gears

yes it is, here's another similar thread (if I get the link right) http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/88727-advice-dobs.html

there was also something interesting a few weeks ago about using a wixey for alt, and sticking an az scale onto the dob mount, that combined with your auto-tracking and stellarium (or similar software) to get the alt/az of whatever you're looking for might work

The handset was one I took from a SkyWatcher Alt-AZ GOTO mount. It was a direct plug-in with no mods needed at all. Apparently the EQ handset can be used with some rewiring but I haven't tried it myself. The EQ uses an 8 pin plug and the Az uses a 6pin plug.

John

I have the 12" flextube auto and followed Johns advice - all you have to do is get the AZ Synscan handset - flash update it to the latest version and bingo it works on the flextube. Best thing I ever did with mine.

Hope that helps :D

Archived