Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd serious DLSR DSO attempt

Last night (15/05/2010) I returned to my first love ... open star clusters. Was hoping to grab M48 before it disappeared below the horizon for another year, but was not successful, so went for M44 instead (pretty good second choice, I think).

102slt + unmodded canon 1000d

I took 60 x 15 second exposures, but for some reason DSS would only stack 17 of them (even though I had retained the 80% setting).

Following on from Nigel's (dph1nm) advice on my M3 thread, I did not use any darks, but used the master bias frame DSS produced for my M3 shots.

I realise when you look at it full size, the stars are not completely round. Should have gone for shorter exposures, but thought 15s would be ok as it seemed to be previously. Maybe an artifact produced by the horrendous time I had trying to align the scope.

Anyway, here it is, for your dissection:D

Thanks for looking.

Looks good to me... You might find the 102 optics being achro are giving you smoe odd bloating effects... Or possibly focus isn't quite there. Still it's a darn good image, that might be what DSS is complaining about with the subs themselves.

Archived