Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Piggyback a DSLR on 130P sync scan

Hey all, I have 2 questions I want to ask. I have just got myself a 1000D and I would like to have a go at widefield imaging. I am getting a tripod from lidl on Thurs for £4.99 so this will help to make a start, but I would like to use the tracking of the mount to experiment with other stuff.

I was wondering if I could either piggyback the camera on the scope and if so how would I go about doing this without rings, or if there was some dovetail I could buy which would allow me to attach the 1000D to the mount and and tracking that way. Thanks in advance.

Is there a 1/4 UNC fitting on one of the rings? If there is thats teh "standard" smaller tripod fitting the one found onthe bottom of the camera. For a bit of flexibility you can mount a Ball and Socket head to the ring.

The other alternative is to use a Short Dovetail with the camera mounted on it and do away with the Scope completely... Thats How I am using the EQ3 pro...

The%20New%20Arrival.jpg

I attach the camera using a Manfrotto 488 RCS Midi size ball and Socket Head which is bolted to the dovetail bar that came with the mount...

You'll love the 1000D... even more so if you get round to modifying it...

Peter...

Thanks for that, unfortunately I aint got rings only the dove tail bar. I thought maybe I could by rings, but I will probably go with your sugestion of the dovetail bar attached to the mount. Thanks again, and I am experimenting and trying to learn some of the features of the 1000D, but it is a whole new ball game compared to a compact....lol.

If you havent got the right thread mounting bolt then drop me a PM with your postal addy and i'll pop one in the post... it might need shortening depending on the dovetail bar you use..

Just looking at B&S heads on eBay...

If its only the camera and the kit lens your going to use then you could get away with this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slik-SBH-100-Compact-Ball-and-Socket-Tripod-Head-UK-/140383974358?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item20af8973d6

I like the Manfrotto's but thay are a bit pricey but handle heavy cams and lenses and last a lifetime...

Peter...

Archived