Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS - images are just B/W

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with DeepSkyStacker?

I've loaded my RAW files, and DSS insists that the image depth is GREY, so that the resultant stacked image is in Black and White when I know that the originals are in colour.

Am I missing something?

Luke, the resulting image that DSS displays always looks like it has no colour. On the saturation tab in DSS you have to set between 20 and 25% to get DSS to display the colours.

I don't use those adjustments though as I find them to be rather insensitive.

All RAW files are grey, you have to tell it to debayer the color information (RAW/FITs DDP Settings). Which camera ar your RAW files coming from?

I'm using a Canon 400D. Can't work out what I should set the RAW/FITs DDP Settings.

Luke, the resulting image that DSS displays always looks like it has no colour. On the saturation tab in DSS you have to set between 20 and 25% to get DSS to display the colours.

I don't use those adjustments though as I find them to be rather insensitive.

The final image is definitely grey, and no amount of tweaking of the saturation will change that. Didn't seem to be a problem with a McNaught Comet image I did the other day, but last night's deep sky targets just come out B/W after stacking.

I have played around with the original RAW images in Photoshop and the colours are fine there. Don't use DSS all that often, you see.

When you click on the stack or register options, you should see a recommended option, use the values defined in there for the debayer. Subs shorter than 5 minutes generally take the Bilinear Interpolation, longer than that and DSS suggests using AHD.

When you click on the stack or register options, you should see a recommended option, use the values defined in there for the debayer. Subs shorter than 5 minutes generally take the Bilinear Interpolation, longer than that and DSS suggests using AHD.

That doesn't seem to make any difference to the colour depth.

This is what I mean:

dss.jpg

Shouldn't the depth say RGB or Color or something?

Nope, that's exactly what mine shows in the file list using a 450d. Don't worry about it, it's cos they are RAW files. Now, getting colour in globs... that's something I'm struggling with too..

Nope, that's exactly what mine shows in the file list using a 450d. Don't worry about it, it's cos they are RAW files. Now, getting colour in globs... that's something I'm struggling with too..

Ahh. it's probably OK then. It's just that if I open up a RAW image in Photoshop and really crank up the saturation, I can get the blues and golds like this single 9 minute exposure:

m13_2010_05_12a.jpg

As soon as I put the images in DSS, the colour vanishes. I'm thinking, if I can get a single image to look like this, then a stacked one ought to look pretty good. (Incidentally, call me a philistine, but all globulars look the same to me which is why I don't normally bother with them!)

Here's another pic to show my problem.

The left half is a small extract from a single RAW image - nice colour and load of stars. The right half is the product of three images of the same object stacked in DSS (I only did three as I was just testing my new guiding setup) - B/W and fewer stars.

m13test.jpg

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Luke, is that second image straight from DSS, or after stretching and processing ?

That's straight from DSS, but no amount of stretching and processing appears to change a monochrome image

• 3 years later...

Here's another pic to show my problem.

The left half is a small extract from a single RAW image - nice colour and load of stars. The right half is the product of three images of the same object stacked in DSS (I only did three as I was just testing my new guiding setup) - B/W and fewer stars.

m13test.jpg

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Same probleme here.. Did you fix your stuff Luke?

Archived