Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 450d as a CCD

This video shows the camera been used as a video recorder

is this viable for CCD use?

I guess you mean for Astro Photography use. ;):D

As CCD is the type of sensor used in most Astro Cameras.

And DSLR's use a CMOS sensor.

But yes. The Canon DSLR cameras are great cameras to use with Astro Photography.

I got the Canon EOS400D myself. :)

I believe that someone on here has used it for lunar imaging, using the higher frame rates the video capture provides. I've not tried it personally, but with the right camera, with sufficient controls available, the CMOS is not a limiting factor for this sort of thing. My recent lunar imaging has been done with a QHY5v which has a CMOS sensor. Don't get me wrong, a CCD would be a better bet... but it works.

try the 450d and see how you get on... If you can get a higher frame rate with the 450d, then in theory, that ought to get you better results. I've had better results with the QHY5v as I can run it at 30 to 40 fps, compared to the SPC900 (basically a neximage) running at 5 or 10 fps. Hmmm... the 5v is mono, that may also have a bearing...

Ahh ok. Small misunderstanding.

In this case I think the Next Image CCD imager will do a better job.

DSLR's a great photo cameras. But they pretty much suck at video recording to be honest.

I would rather use the Continuous shooting burst option on the DSLR instead. To collect lots of frames in a very short time.

Depending on what your mounting the SLR on, the burst mode can cause a lot of vibration as the mirror box shifts up and down... my HEQ5 would be ok for it, but mounting the scope on my camera tripod, the vibration introduces noticeable image shift after the first exposure. Something to bear in mind with burst mode.. in raw, that's 3.5 fps for 6 frames, then the frame rate drops to about 1 fps... in jpg I think it's 37 frames before the buffer is full.

I have a canon 450d, it doesnt have a video setting, thats the new 500. Also the burst rate of the 450d although quoted as 3.5 depends on the speed of the memory card, it does suffer from memory lag after a few seconds. Obviously this is more if you shoot raw and less if you shoot jpeg. However if you shoot jpeg you cant play with the images as much as you can raw. Hope this helps?

Whilst the 450d doesn't have a native video mode, there is a russian (I think) bit of software that enables you to use the 450d in a video mode, but it only works in tethered shooting as it requires the pc software to lift the mirror box, open the shutter and capture the liveview data feed.

Archived