Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

polar alignment

hi guys , i know this sounds nieve but can anybody post details of polar alignment for me , easiest way that i can understand is to set my mount up and find polaris , that part is easy but for the past few nights it drifts off abit. still can't get my head round the dec and r.a circles on the scope ( skwatcher 130 reflector ) after i have set the latitude to 53 , should i leave this alone for the rest of the night , i.e if i move this setting will the scope go out of polar alignment.

many thanks

i think i have confused myself now!!! :wink:

tonight might be promising after all

Ideally you should have a hard surface that you can mark (better yet dimple with a drill) to ensure that your tripod goes back in the same spot every time. Once you can do that you can drift align (Google that and it'll keep you going for hours) to properly set the alignment. Then you're off. If you can't mark a surface then you have to align each time you set up.

Basic idea is to align the axis with the axis that the stars rotate around. This is in a direction very close to Polaris so in the northern hemisphere we're pampered somewhat.

Simple aligning is in steps as follows:-

1) Make sure that the telscope is in line with the axis of the mount (cone error in the book).

2) Set the Dec. axis (the top one) to point the 'scope along the axis of the RA axis (the bottom one)

3) Move the 'scope in the RA axis so that it one one side of the mount and using a low magnification EP (big number EP) centre polaris by adjusting the mount.

4) Move the 'scope to the other side and look at where Polaris is. If its moved sideways you have cone error, if its gone up or down the Dec. axis wasn't spot on.

5) Asuming that the cone error isn't a problem, move the Dec. axis to put Polaris half way between where it appeared and the centre.

6) Realign the mount to centre Polaris.

7) Move the 'scope back to the other side and check that Polaris is centred.

8) Repeat with a higher power EP to get more accuracy.

9) MARK THE FLOOR because you have got close enough for visual.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Archived