Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography

Mrshredder2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well cause we didnt want to get the telescope out cause the clouds where rolling i held the camera myself and just took random shoots.

it was taken using the 18-55mm lens ummm shutterspeed you mean the ISO if so i think it was 1600.

The shutter speed means how long was the shutter open when you took the photograph. If you were hand holding the camera I would suspect that the shutter speed would have been too fast to capture any stars. The graininess of the image is due to the high iso setting you used.

Peter

Peter

It does not look like stars to me, itt looks like noise from the cameras sensor. Did you shoot this through the scope or piggyback? What were the settings when you shot the picture, and at what focal length?. I typically shoot at right arond these settings

ISO 1600

F 5.8

My exposure times depend on what I am shooting and how well my tempermental mount is tracking. it is anywhere from 30 sec to 5 minutes or more. I will post a pic of a short exposure shot of mine so you know what you should see.

It does not look like stars to me, it looks like noise from the cameras sensor. What were your settings, focal length, and was this piggyback or prime focus?

I typically shoot around these setting

ISO 1600

F 5.8

Exposure time varies depending on many things but I would start at around 30 seconds to start.

Here is a short exposure shot I took awhile back, something similar to this is what you should expect if you are piggybacking with an exposure time of around 30 sec.

it was shot at 18mm

jleach29-albums-piggyback-nikon-d40-picture4936-081.jpg

was that shot stacked and edited or was it just a normal photo.

also what time would you say is the best time to take picture and get lots of stars?

cause this one my brother took last night wasnt edited:

IMG_0005.jpg

The later you can shoot the better it is in my opinion. This depends on if you are looking to shoot a certian object of just lots of stars in general. If you have not downloaded a planaterium program yet I strongly recommend downloading Stellarium, it is a free program and shows the sky exactly as it looks in your area, and you can fast forward it through the night to see what will be in your sky at anytime of the night and know when to go out and shoot. I usually try to shoot around 2am because

more parking lot light are shut off at that time so there is less light pollution at this time.

my shot that I posted was not stacked it was a single exposure and I did no editing to it. I will be putting up a new post of a piggyback shot I did of the dumbell nebula M27 so you can shoot deep sky objects piggyback.

ok mate yeah i got stellarium already, would you say ISO 1600 is better to shoot with than ISO 800 as 800 is what we used for our picture.

so shot round 2am, i shall try that just hope the skies clear tonight so i can try it again.

Archived