NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any suggestions for a 2mx2mx2m observatory?

Breakintheclouds

Mrs Breakintheclouds yesterday pointed at a patch of our garden and said "You should do something with that space - you should build an observatory". Okay, so she may have added something on the end of that sentence, like "...or a firewood store", but I chose to stop listening at that point.

The piece of land would be just big enough for a 2m square structure (or circular structure that would fit within the same space). I'd need at least one side of the structure (the Western side) to be 2m tall, as it needs to block light from my neighbour's house. But the other sides could be lower if I went with some sort of sloping design.

Anybody got any experience of working with such a small space? Or suggestions for possible designs? I only need somewhere to keep my scope set up ready for use - I don't need a separate warm room, power, or anything fancy.

Its not such a small space! My obsy is 1.8m x1.8m ! Take a look at my blog - address in the signature - which shows what you can get into a small space. There are several others on the forum who have done similar jobs - I'm sure they will reply as well.

Ive got a space around 1.9 by 1.9 that i'd like to site an obs in, before the wife claims it for a greenhouse. Didnt think it would be big enough till i saw this thread. Do you think a 10" SNT would fit easily in such a small space?

Stephen

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid a roll-off roof just isn't an option for the site I have. Euan: I found yours earlier when I was searching the web! It's great, but I need something which will shelter me from light from my neighbour's house when I'm observing - something more like a traditional obsy.

I've been doing some research and am currently wondering if I can do a modified version of this: wpo-building a small gazebo observatory - either octagonal or hexagonal. I'm just trying to decide whether to make the roof rotate or the whole thing... Hmm...

In a small sized obsy I would stick to a square building - It is useful to be able to stand yourself in the corners when the eyepiece is near the wall! (if you see what I mean).

As to fitting a scope in - my 200P fits as does my 120mm f8 refractor - on the same mounting (but not at the same time!). They both present different problems of eyepiece access but I have yet to find that I cannot, somehow, manage.

Hi ian,

Keep us posted as your plans develop. It seems that there are as many different ways to make an obsy as there are obsies.

Mark

ps just replied to your pm re moon books. I'll show you my plans for the shed when you pop up.

Mark

Thanks for all the ideas. Here's my first update. I've spent a back-breaking weekend digging out a mass of bamboo (evil evil stuff) and levelling ground. What I'm planning right now is something that looks a lot like this:

Obs Page5

but with a base constructed in this, slightly simpler way:

basestructure

As an experiment, I've staked out the positions of the corners, assuming an octagon with a long diagonal of 2.02 metres. I'll stick my scope up in that space this evening and see how it goes. It'll be a squeeze, but I'm working on the principle that a small obsy is better than no obsy.

Hi Breakintheclouds

That looks like a nice design.

I think Bizibuilder has a good point about using a square base to maximise your space. You'll be horrified how much stuff you'll end up wanting to store/use out there.

Also remember that blocking light from a neigbouring property can be done in a number of ways, including having a moveable screen facing in that direction. Some kind of board that slides up into position (maybe with a pulley and counterweight) would fit the bill.

Also remember that blocking light from a neigbouring property can be done in a number of ways, including having a moveable screen facing in that direction.

And how would such a simple design justify my buying a new mitre saw? :)

Just kidding, but I do take your point about a square base. I guess the main thing working against a square base is the overall look of the obsy, as an octagon is slightly more picturesque for our small garden, but you make an excellent point about the space. I'll certainly think about that again <reaches for notebook...>

Surely a hexagonal base provides the greatest surface area for the minimal materials required to build the outside? Hence my bees make hexagonal honey combs (man might be lazy, but nature got there first!)

Just adding a spanner to the works...

Many years ago I built an Octodome observatory for a 12" f5 Newt.

The base was square and the walls were breeze block 1.5m high and supported 4 x 4" castors.

The octodome was based on 1.2m sides; I even put some windows in two of the sides for daytime use! x 1m high.

The slit was in two parts - a double door in one of the vertical sides ( could be opened to look at low altitudes) and a roll back horizontal shutter in the roof. So you could open the top shutter independently of the door.

Triangular mini roof section in each corner of the square base and a plywood skirt for sealing.

Worked very well for the five years I used it.....

The kids said it looked like a Lunar Lander!!

Ken

"The Sky at Night" magazine ran a series of articles about building a domed observatory which were very clear and detailed. The December issue, (I think it's issue number 55), has the CD with the complete set of plans and a detailed list of materials. I was impressed enough to take the plans with me when I move to New Zealand later in the year.

Archived