Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars takes up beekeeping...

...and I get back to a bit of imaging after my long winter break - and back to posting on the forum too (sorry folks).

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I suppose it counts as a 'special' - taken on 16 April when Mars was closest to M44. Only really done for a bit of fun, I don't really claim any merit in it. Now I see why I ought to improve my spider, the clumsy 2-arm secondary support doesn't make for a good effect...;)

Haven't tried imaging M44 before, it's a bit big for my 250mm/F4.8 setup and I did this one as a mosaic of two panes, one with Mars in it and the other with most of the Beehive. Both panes 13 x 45sec, ISO1600.

Of course this presentation grossly over-exposes Mars but I like the colour effect. Had to do quite a bit of fiddling and partial blurring to get a nasty grid-like camera artefact out of the glow around Mars.

The image is very tall and narrow, sorry to all of you who're fed up with hitting the scroll wheel!

m44mars16apr10003r.jpg

Archived