Agggh Too much choice!!!

Hi All,

First ever post, so hello to everyone. I have been visiting this forum for a few weeks now trying to gleam enough information to make an informed choice before purchasing my first ever telescope. I had decided on a skywatcher 150P reflector with the EQ3-2 mount, ready to hit the pay now button when for some reason i hesitated had another look at this forum and now after reading a few more posts I think I should be getting a Dobsonian. Why o why is choosing a telescope so damm difficult, now I dont know which one to get. Will a Dob really let me see a lot more than the reflector, anyone with experience of using these scopes your help and opinions would be appreciated before I tear all my hair out.

Paul's right - the mount is the only real difference. With a dob, you trade off the ability to take photos through your scope for bigger aperture. If you think you're only going to do visual observing, and aren't too lazy, then a dob is probably the way to go. You just get more sights for your pound that way. But then I'm lazy and goto my way around the skies, so what would I know ;)

Hi Rob,

I've got a 150P on an EQ3-2 with the dual axis motors and it's a lovely scope. It's relatively small and light and once I have found my target, the drive keeps it in the eyepiece so I can sketch it without having to nudge the scope around. However, I have found that I love galaxies and the smaller aperture struggles with fainter ones so I'm asking Santa for a 10 or 12 inch dob next Christmas. When/if I get that, the 150P becomes my imaging scope. My reasons for wanting a dob next is that at SGL 5 a couple of great people let me have a go with their's and I found them far easier to use than I expected plus I don't have space for a bigger EQ mount and OTA. A mid size dob only takes up the same floor space as my EQ3-2 does now.

Sorry if I haven't helped too much.

Rik

Risking to sound like a broken record ;):

The best of the dob (vs an EQ) is the that you don't align it, you don't balance it, you don't fold it, you don't align the polar scope, you don't need power supply and you don't need to contort to reach the EP (or rotate the scope in it's rings as an alternative). Just grab it, put it down and observe while sitting on a chair.

The bad: no photos and no tracking/goto at this price range (you nudge it manually and find things using charts and your brain, which will happen too with an unmotorised EQ3-2)

Thanks Guys,

I think I will stick with my initial choice as the idea of sticking my DSLR at some point does appeal (I will probably change my mind again in 5 mins). Another question - how easy is it to add a motor onto the mount should I want to at a later date.

Sorry i should have also said that the choice between a Dob mount and an EQ mount is very personal. It really depends on your plans (observing or imaging or BOTH). Many people love EQ mounts but just as many hate them and the same goes for Dobs. For ME the Dob is the best. Its quick and easy to setup and use. There is a bit of a learning curve to the Dob because its basically a manual pan and tilt mount and dont forget that images are also not the same way orientated as your eyes. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

If photography is going to be important to you then the EQ3 is not really a contender other than for very casual shots. The widely accepted minimum 'real' photographic mount is the HEQ5. However, for visual tracking the 3 will do fine.

Olly

Thanks Guys,

I think I will stick with my initial choice as the idea of sticking my DSLR at some point does appeal (I will probably change my mind again in 5 mins). Another question - how easy is it to add a motor onto the mount should I want to at a later date.

Physically adding the motors is easy, they just bolt on the side, but...the slewing speed with the EQ3-2 is slow and you can't use the RA manual fine control knob with the motors installed.

Also I have found that imaging is a lot more complex than simply plugging a DSLR into the focuser and snapping away. I only take basic casual widefield shots, nothing fancy and so far nothing worth posting on SGL.

Rik

GrumpyRob...did you make a decision as to whether to ride with the 150p or the Dob?

It seems to be a common question for us newcomers and time and time again I see everyone including myself weighing up the pro's and con's of the 150p vs the Dob.

I am currently in the exact same situation, started looking for scopes some weeks ago how, its getting quite obsessive but I am generally just looking at the same information and reviews over and over again just on differenent websites.

If only I knew some one that had them set up side by side for me to have a play with and observe a little.

Did you go with your first choice (the 150p) or are you like me and still 'umming and arring'?

If you did go with either one, let me know how you got on.

Matt

If you're still not sure - then get along to your local astro society on an observing night and you can see various telescopes in the raw.

The basic criteria are:

1. Largest aperture within budget.

2. Weight of the rig and how portable you need to be to get to dark sites.

3. Serious photography or just observing.

Budget in for extras. A push to dob will give more bang for the buck and require less extras (just a few decent e/p's really.

A photography rig will need e/q mount, accurate tracking, a power supply, camera connectors, dew control, maybe goto, and all sorts of other stuff.

Don't forget - if you get a basic dob to start observing you can allways trade up when you decide to go bigger or turn to photography.

I started with a 150P on a manual eq mount and it was great for learning the sky, light enough to transport, easy to set up, and had great views.

Hope I've helped and welcome to the group. ;)

Hey Matt,

Glad to see I am not alone, still not made my mind up but am going to take Brants advice and try and find a local astronomy club, unfortunately living near Heathrow the only people who seem to be looking skyward are the plane spotters:)

Archived