Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can someone explain the effects on a telescopes magnification of a Barlow lens please? The way i understand it a telescope is limited by it's aperture in terms of limiting magnification... does the barlow just magnify the image so that you see a larger image (not brighter or with more detail) Can you only effectively use a barlow up to the limiting magnification or can you use one that will take it over the telescopes limiting magnification? Are x3, x4 and x5 barlows worth the investment?

:D

Yes, a Barlow magnifies the real image produced by the primary optic. You are still limited by the aperture. Barlows are great for prime-focus photography (of planets, mainly) as your sensor pixel pitch is fixed so it's the only way of changing scale. They are also pretty handy when you have a very good eyepiece but would like to increase its effective magnification.

I have 2 good eps and 2 good barlows. In effect they work as 6 eps (31, 19.3, 15.5, 10, 6.25 and 5mm) for a much cheaper price. I can't notice any drop in quality from using the barlow. In fact lots of high end ep designs (like Nagler and Ethos) use incorporated barlows. Only problem is it causes more weight on the focuser/scope. Anyway the magnification should not go above the scope capabilities.

Just a warning: I had a very cheap barlow when I started that just blurred everything!

does the barlow just magnify the image so that you see a larger image (not brighter or with more detail)

Yes. Plus the light loss & quality loss coming from the barlow itself ... good ones contribute very little on either account.

As stated above, very useful for imaging planets etc. With a f/10 scope I find I never need to use a barlow for visual observing.

I recently bought a Tal 2X barlow and i have to say that i am delighted with it. Images are crisp and bright with it. My other Barlow (a kit one) is a disaster. It blurs everything and darkens the images.

The TAL is definitely worth investing in if you have a tight budget.

Archived