Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Searching for DSOs

I'm going DSO hunting this weekend at a remote dark site for the first time with my XT8 Dobsonian. I am going to bring a star map and start with Orion's Nebula. I would like to ask if anyone has any advice on viewing DSOs with my scope.

I am going to start with my 32mm eye piece. Just for easy reference lets say I am observing Orion's Nebula. What is everyone's experience with magnification on the Nebula? Is there a limit? What's the best views that you've seen and at what magnification, or any filters that you had used to enhance it? Any other advice, tips, or comments would be much appreciated as I will be driving rather far and will use any information provided by you to make the best out of this experience. Thanks. :D

I am a relative newbie too but find that planning is essential. look at a few maps and decide where to concentrate your efforts. The Orion Nebula is great at many magnifications but general advice is to use the magnification which shows most detail. This is a slightly loose answer but you'll see what I mean.

I am currently in the process of searching through Cancer, Ursa Major, Bootes, Leo, Canes Venatici, Coma Berenices, Virgo and Hercules. If you are there later then Lyra is also coming up now.

Ones to try and see are M13 in Hercules and M3 in Canes Venatici - both stunning globular clusters.

If you have Turn Left at Orion then this is a great help.

my threads http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-deep-sky/101508-best-night-so-far.html and http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/96603-messier-targets.html might be helpful too.

good luck!

Orion's Nebula M42 could be a challenge. By the time it is properly dark now it is low down in the southwest. M13 and M3 globulars are really good targets. Look out also for M51 in Ursa Major. From a dark sky site the Virgo and Coma galaxy clusters can be a real joy too :D

M81, M82, M51, M97 and M108 are all well placed in ursa major at the moment.

For M42 find it as soon as it gets dark, as DarkerSky said, it's low at the moment and will soon be out till next winter.

I use this maps to find the messier's. Use stellarium to see which constellations will be higher in the sky and then print the map for that constellation:

Messier Maps

Map4 shows the ursa major area, which is very well placed now. Currently it's "upside down" when you compare this map to the night sky.

Archived