NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The right choice ???

Hello,

My name is Jerome, I want to get back into astronomy and I've been looking at what is availlable (and what I can afford) and I came across the Celestron C6 SGT (XLT) GOTO Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope, can anyone tell me if this is something I would be please with? I want to look at planets but also galaxies are in my mind. Also Astrophotography would be a step that I would like to take with time.

I don't suppose that the new 125 ETX are large enough are they?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jerome

Hi Jerome,

Some people feel that planetary views through a SCT can be a little "soft" and lack contrast/ definition when compared to other scope designs....[tact]others don't feel this way however[/tact] :laugh:

TBH if you are wanting to look at galaxies then you are going to struggle to find a small (<200mm) scope that will do the job. Aperture rules for that type of object.

Gaz

The scope is mounted on an reasonable equatorial mount which which will allow you to use other scopes if you wish. The argument is really over whether you should go for maximum aperture for the money in which case you might be better off going for a Newtonian eg 8" skywatcher on an HEQ5 mount. However SCTs have the advantage of being more compact and convenient. 6" is a reasonable aperture and SCTs can be used with a range of focal reducers which makes them more flexible than newtonians esp for imaging. With this scope, a Meade 3.3 F/R and a modified web cam you will have a good introductory set up for deep sky imaging. A celestron ultima x2 barlow and a toucam web cam would see you right for colour planetary work.

There are a whole load of pros and cons between different scopes which I find pretty minor but other people have more of an issue with. SCTs need to be left outside to cool down for around an hour before they perform at their best. They need occasional collimating which is very easy. The central secondary mirror reduces contrast on planets slightly although I have had some great views of Saturn through my SCT and it really isnt a problem when imaging.

So personally for purely visual work I would opt for a Skywatcher on an HEQ5 but for the all round capability that you are looking at you would be making a reasonable choice.

Compromise and priorities!

If you have a preference for planets, I suggest you give the 6” Celestron serious consideration.

Whilst it is true that, everything else being equal, a refractor delivers more contrast, the difference really is not that great. It is also true that an 8” reflector will be brighter but that is not a major benefit when observing planets. The SCT on the other hand will deliver 50% more magnification from any given eyepiece and that is a benefit - it allows you to use longer focal length eyepieces with greater eye-relief (more comfortable).

For a refractor or reflector to achieve the same magnification it would have to be five feet long and need a hefty/expensive mount to hold it!

After saying that, the 8” Skywatcher on a HEQ5 is remarkably versatile… :wink:

Archived