Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

For those thinking of upgrading from a 285

NickH

Sub frame focus is way more tricky than the 314L, due to the shutter/non interline nature...Bahtinov mask is totally the way to go here

It gets down to Delta T pretty quickly (few mins at most) and it seems to go to about 30 below ambient pretty well. Read noise is higher than the 285 at around 7eV.

focus mode using a preview option, which does improve things...though...and darks, you just lock down the shutter! :-)

Pros and cons, but the FOV and cost make this more pro than con for sure

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Download image time is 10s...at 1x1...

The vignetting is now becoming an issue... I have fundamentally changed my mind on the use of 1.25" filters with this camera...after doing more and more work. First light was a globular in the middle of the FOV...with a large nebula, you'll need 2" filters for sure IMHO, and darks, just locking down the shutter doesn't quite work as expected.

Aren't there supposed to be 36mm unmounted filters and wheels availabe soon?

I see OPT have a Baader 3 filter set available

Peter...

There are Astronomik unmounted filters, they are about the same price as the T2 thread ones.

The EFW 2 can take 7 x 38mm unmounted filters, so perfect for L(LP Filter), R, G, B, Ha, O3, S2. Parfocal as well, rock on.

As I'm looking at an F5 and F4 scope, this is the way to go for me. Although I nearly pooped myself when I seen the price of the filter wheel plus all the filters (more than 2/3 the price of the camera)

It's a factor in the equation for sure...2" filters and new motorized wheel.. The 4000 doesn't need this, I know as I have used it extensively with 1.25" filters, where only fractional vignetting occurs

Hi Nick, Just wondered what the glass diameter of the filter used for your testing was? I seem to have a variation of approx 2mm on my different filters (approx 24.5mm to 26.5mm), this variation is greater than the difference in the diagonal length of the 8300 and 4000 cameras.

Cheers,

Rich.

Sorry am still away at the mo...on a vrief holiday...will post more when I get back... Atik are working on solving all the issues found, and confidently think that F7.5 should be okay for 1.25" filters with the current Atik EFW

With the mechanical shutter, I was wondering how well this would integrate with robofocus....anyone tried it yet?

Also the exposed electronics.....any issues showing up there?

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

No major issues with the exposed electronics, but the dark/flats are and issue due to the light leakage/shutter... Kevin's posted his findings, mine are similar..

• 2 weeks later...

whoa... I overlaid the image... its very impressive..

Am now going to re think again... was about to buy a 314L mono plus the wheel and filters... crikey... maybe colour is the way for me... the filters etc are blowing my budget.. :)

Guy

post-15416-133877450654_thumb.jpg

Archived