NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small cheap grab and go, Ideas?

I'm looking for a scope to replace my trusty Skymax 90 Maksutov, which unfortunately lost a fight with my concrete path last year.

I'm tempted to get the same again (especially as it's sixty quid cheaper nowadays!) but maybe there are other scopes people would recomend in the same price range.

It is for general purpose visual viewing on a fairly heavy camera tripod.

I also have a small EQ mount that I can use so it may go on that some times.

Any ideas?

cheers

Planetary or wide? I bought a TeleVue Pronto used from here a while back. Lovely, and no concrete path would stand an earthly against it! They cost around a grand nearly 20 years ago and now go for 2-300 pounds max. Quality all the way in. (I had to by it to let myself down slowly from selling Richie Jarvis our Genesis!)

Olly

sorry Olly,

I posted a long response to your input yesterday but the page timed out and I lost it and got the hump!

In short, I can't afford a ranger or pronto even though I would prefer one.

I am looking at the usual suspects for this sort of travel/second scope. These include the ST80 and just getting the 90mm Skymax Mak again.

I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Hi pt,

If you want a cheap'un, how about the Celestron Travel Scope 70? There's a review here on the forum, by Matthew.Blake.

If you want to stick with a Mak, would a 2nd hand Skymax 127 be within budget?

HTH

PS

If you want to avoid the the forum timing out on you, tick the "Remember Me?" box, next to the user-name and password boxes, at login.

yes thanks Darren,

The 102 was a definite contender. In the end the 80 was chosen for being a good compromise on size.

I had to order quickly as the financial controller started to waver!

Thanks all, you suggestions are genuinely appreciated.

Archived