Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing report 12.4/ Mars-Saturn

philipok

What started as a cloudy day cleared with a brisk wind to a beautifully clear evening. I opened the garage doors to cool the 10" SCT down, then hauled it out at about 20:45. Had a quick peek with binoculars at Mercury/Venus - Mercury starting to drop down quite noticeably into the haze.

Pointed the scope due north - one of those evenings where everything goes smoothly - adjusted the alt setting and got the tracking on.

Started with Mars - seeing I would rate at Antoniadi 3. but lots of wind, and the flexi dewshield seemed to amplify it, so I retracted it a little. Played around with mags from x200-x250

Size about 8", but still detail to be seen.. the northern polar cap, Mare Acidalium with the fork just visible.. and to the south, leading into the terminator, the dark curve of Mare Erythraeum.

Tried a red filter - amazing how this cuts off the bad seeing.. although dimming the colour. Did make the darker features clearer though..

Next onto Saturn at about 21:30, still fairly low down in Virgo. @x200, it wouldn't take much more.. Could see Titan (to the left), and two little moons near the ring edge. Rhea and Diona, I subsequently checked. Also a star/moon to the left and above Titan - Iapetus? Titan itself was really orangey and appeared to have a disk at x200. any more mag and it really deteriorated though.

Frustratingly, couldn't split out Tethys and Enceladus, which were bunched up near the planet.. annoying, as I'd spotted them the week before. Probably also due to the fact that it wasn't 'fully dark' when I was observing.. but the planet itself was fantastic as ever - a sharp razor edge ring and north and south cloud bands visible. Tried a yellow filter, but this added nothing..

Packed up at about 22:15, a really good early evening spot of observing (and no dew).

Nice one Phil. Good to see another report on Mars. It might be very small now, but there is still detail to be found, as you have very much proven :)

With Saturn I have noticed that the glare from the planet can drown out even the brighter moons when they are within the ring width

Archived