Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Tripod/Mount needed

Hi all.

Having just purchased a Skywatcher 150 pro, I'm now looking for a tripod & mount.

I've located a second hand EQ6 tripod but was wondering what mounts could go on this (other than the obvious).

Any advice ?

Mark

This is guessing but, having previously read threads about pier top adaptors, the EQ heads all seem to have slightly different shapes and sizes so it may be that it would need adapting to fit anything but an EQ6. It will probably be more economical to buy mount and tripod together. Mount heads don't come up on their own too often, the tripods more so because people sometimes sell them when transferring to a permanent pier observatory set up.

Thanks Russ.

Pity I didn't see the items you have for sale sooner. I would have been interested in the mount. Mines fully manual, so I'm trying to locate a DA motor for it.

Mark

You mean an RA motor I think. You might find it's not much more for dual axis drives than an RA. I could never see the point of dual axis until I tried a refractor on my mount and realised it 's so much easier than reaching for the knobs.

I've got DK-3 dual axis motors on my CG5 rather than the usual Skywatcher & Celestron version (they're all pretty much interchangeable between Vixen GP EQ5 & CG5). I've heard they can be noisy and I must say the DK-3s are really quiet.

Archived