Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 8.4.2010

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 1829mmFL

No Moon

Mild

Visual magnitude 4.2

Another clear night thats two in a row, so I thought I would continue with my galaxy hunting. So set up at 17.00 to let the scope cool down and then later collimated and polar aligned. Started observing 21.00.

Started the night in Coma Berenices and eventually found Ngc4459 by star hopping from a triangular asterism headed by star HD108613. This galaxy is pretty small at 4.0' x 3.1' and shines at magnitude 10.4 but once found you can revisit easily due to the triangular asterism pointing the way. In my 28 Uwan I could not make out a definite shape but the core was slightly brighter, the galaxy did stand out more with averted vision. On the very rare periods of good seeing a very faint mottling on the background occured just to the side of Ngc 4459, according to CduC this is Ngc4468 but this sighting is very untenable and not sure if I should log it down or not.

Staying in Coma Berenices I went hunting for Ngc4494 a circular shaped fuzzy ball measuring 4.5' in diameter and shining a magnitude 9.8. I also needed to star hop to this one as well but eventually after a little dark adaption I eventually saw a circular smudge appear with averted vision and then was able to zoom into the right area. After prolonged observing with the 16 uwan I was able to see the overall shape quite clearly but no core was observed.

Next was the highlight of the night, infact the highlight of two nights. I spent one hour observing the area around M84 and M86, I draped the blackout blanket over my head and just sat there for a good 30 minutes letting my eyes adapt to what I'm seeing and the details that popped out was amazing. Through the 28 Uwan and it's 1.26° field of view I could easily see M84 and M86 both of these galaxies stood out really well maybe M86 a little brighter, I could make out the cores in both objects and their shape was very well defined. Just to the east of M86 I could also see two seperate smudges with a clear and well defined gap seperating them, these are called "The Eyes" or more commonly known as Ngc4438 and Ngc4435. These two were borderline in my vision and dissappeared as quick as they sometimes were seen, Ngc 4438 is 8.5' x 3.0' and mag 10.2 while Ngc4435 is smaller at 3.0' x 2.2' and mag 10.8. Through the 28 Uwan their shapes were clearly seen, but no cores were detected. Also during good periods of seeing two very faint slithers of light appeared above and below M86, once again taken from CduC these appear to be Ngc4388 which lies above M86 and Ngc4402 which is below M86. I have drawn a sketch off what I saw but I must stress that all these galaxies did not appear at the same time, the sketch is the view through both the 28 & 16 Uwans combined. For sketch click here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/101220-m84-m86-eyes-ngc-4388-ngc-4402-a.html

I finally saw M100 tonight, I have been trying for a while to see this one. M100 lies in the constellation Coma Berenices and is a spiral galaxy 7.5' x 6.1' in size and mag 9.4 in brightness. Once again had to use my star hopping skills to get to the right place but once I did I could detect a mottling of the background and knew that this had to be it. No shape was seen in the 28 Uwan but in the 16 Uwan I could detect a brighter core and a very faint circular shape.

Dropped down to Virgo next and star hopped from M49 to my next object Ngc4365. A small galaxy 6.5' x 4.9' in size and mag 9.6 in brightness. I was quite amazed at how easy it was to locate and through the 28 Uwan very easy to observe, the overall shape was easily seen and a very slight core was detected. According to Sky6 there are a couple of nearby galaxies which have stars overlapping the galaxies, I would imagine these stars are just line of sight objects, I could easily make out which stars these are by star hopping to them but I could see no galaxies around them. These galaxies are Ngc4334, Ngc4370, and IC3322.

Staying in Virgo I found the galaxy Ngc4666, this was actually very easy to find as it has a Sbr of mag 12.5 and it stands out very well indeed. Through the 16 uwan I could detect a slightly brighter centre and the overall eliptical shape stood out well. I then star hopped to Ngc4632 which turned out to be a very hard object to see, eventually saw it with averted vision and only for a short period as it was right on my visual maximum magnitude.

It was now gone midnight so the last object was Ngc4697 in the constellation Virgo. I wasn't expecting to much as the object was just 30° in altitude so I was looking through a little murk but I was surprised, it turned out to be very visible through the 16 Uwan. At 6.2' x 4.5' and 9.2 mag it's quite easy to spot and I could easily make out the eliptical shape and a brighter core. For sketch click here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/101219-ngc-4697-a.html

Another one Messier, six herschel's and one Caldwell of my list.

Called it a night about 00.30.

Simply wow...you're reeling them in !!

Sounds like that blackout cape is doing the trick to help dark adaptation. It's a good idea :)

I remember seeing NGC 4494 with a 6" reflector from the dark sky of Wales - LM there is about 6.1. My notes say that it was a round hazy patch with a central brightening. It is interesting though how galaxy appearances change with aperture and sky condition

Seb I can really recommend a blackout cape for observing from a light polluted garden it really does help.

I have the odd street light and security light to contend with, so to cover yourself for 10 minutes really does dark adapt your eyes.

slow down you are catching me up...Awesome time clearly. I think you are hooked on the fuzzies....

I had a thought last night. I might make up a packet of top trumps with my favorite galaxies with drawings and data...Could then enthuse my boys..

Mark

Seb I can really recommend a blackout cape for observing from a light polluted garden it really does help.

I have the odd street light and security light to contend with, so to cover yourself for 10 minutes really does dark adapt your eyes.

Great report! You made me want to revisit some of this and observe in more detail.

I got 2 street lights near the front of my house (less then 100m), I avoid them by observing in the back yard but the south horizon is only visible in the front.

I use a towel but it's not attached to the scope and I have a lot of trouble holding the Atlas, a notebook + pen, the red light torch and the towel. Does your blackout cape attach to the scope so you can have your hands free? If so did you buy it or made it at home?

I been trying to buy this one but no one seams to have it in stock:

Astronomy Observing Aids

I'm also thinking about making something similar to a wall magazine rack to attach to the side of the dob base so I can quickly store the atlas and note/sketch book while i'm observing. How do you keep your hands free with all the gear involved?

PS-> Sorry for the questionnaire but having all this stuff on my hands and handling heavy EPs at the same time is really troublesome (and prone to accidents)! I'm opened to ideas on making this more practical.

No it doesn't attach to the scope it just drapes over my head. I use a lap top but when I sketch I just place the notepad on my knee and it is illuminated by a red torch attached to the notepad via a crocodile clip.

The words notepad, clip and knee made me have one of those eureka moments!

I remembered, my brother used one of this when he was studying to be a pilot:

Deluxe Lighted Kneeboard - Sporty's Pilot Shop

I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he still haves it laying around.

No where near as impressive as that one. it's just simply a clip board and a red flexi light with a clip.

Archived