Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping a journal

Llamanaut

I've been keeping journals for over 10 years, and lots of wonderful memories are recorded in them... not only the night's observations, but things like temperature, weather, general ambiance, and the events of the day. My only regret is that when i began, i didn't realize that keeping my observations in chronological order would prove to be problematic in the future.

Sharing records of specific observations with other Amateurs now requires that i scour through 10 logbooks, and TBH i just couldn't be bothered. If i could begin all over again, i'd have a few looseleaf binders containing observational details arranged by designation number for easy access. But i'd still write the logbooks... they're absolutely priceless. :)

I have 3 A4 hardbound artists books that I use for my sketches and notes. It is fascinating to see how I have improved over the years. I've also recorded unusual sightings - the fox that walked right past me, the double meteor trailing smoke and most recently a strange cloud that didn't move for several hours that turned out to be a fuel dump from a sounding rocket.

An index would be good - a simple table in excel would help as it has a search and sort functions.

Well worth keeping a journal otherwise you'll forget all those memories and sights otherwise.

Mark

When I was still in school I used to keep an exercise book with notes and sketches of the things I observed with my binoculars - usually Ursa Major and Orion as these were the only two constellations I knew. I wish I still had that book.

Now I'm recording each night's observation on the laptop (how times change). I usually try and make a note of start and finish times, how I aligned the scope, weather and seeing conditions and the observations themselves. I try to record impressions and feelings as well as cold hard facts. I also record any plans or lists I've made on what to observe so I can compare my intentions with what I actually achieve.

As I'm still learning, I think it will be a valuable resource in the coming months as I learn from my own mistakes.

Dave

I've recently started keeping simple notes/ diagrams in a small notebook that i bought off an indian crafts stall. As i'm just learning it's mostly stuff that i've managed to view for the 1st time or constellations that i've correctly identifyed.

rich

Archived