NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motor drive -dual or single axis necessary?

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount. I've just brought a Philips Toucam Pro 2 and I'm wondering if I need a motor drive to track celestial objects. Do I?

If so do I need a dual axis motor drive or just single axis? I know when I track objects manually I only adjust 1 axis...

Thanks

Pete

If your mount is correctly polar aligned then you only need to drive the polar axis. The dec axis drive has some advantages: The second motor doesn't cost much! You can use it as a spare if the other one fails!! Being able to adjust the dec axis under power can save some contortions when the scope is in certain positions!!!

That's the one. Or you could go with FLO:

Skywatcher - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

(usual disclaimer). I believe that these are 6volt systems - you also need to cost in a decent battery or power supply. They are designed for a few "torch batteries" that won't last long and will cost the earth to keep replacing. I believe you can get 6v "leisure batteries" for quite reasonable prices - along with the necessary charger.

I'm in the process of researching / buying exactly the same drive for my own EQ5 / 200P. FLO are having an Easter break so I intend to phone them for more advice after the weekend when they return.

That's the one. Or you could go with FLO:

Skywatcher - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

(usual disclaimer). I believe that these are 6volt systems - you also need to cost in a decent battery or power supply. They are designed for a few "torch batteries" that won't last long and will cost the earth to keep replacing. I believe you can get 6v "leisure batteries" for quite reasonable prices - along with the necessary charger.

I'm in the process of researching / buying exactly the same drive for my own EQ5 / 200P. FLO are having an Easter break so I intend to phone them for more advice after the weekend when they return.

The dual axis drives are not as draining on the batteries as the Synscan system and last quite a long time.

Peter

OK cheers guys

Does this look like the right think to get?

Sky-Watcher Single and Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drives for EQ-3 - 2, EQ5

Thanks for the help

Oh and while I'm at it: Anyone have any tips for me regarding setting up the Toucam Pro/ using it, or is it all clear in the instructions?

Pete

Here is a link to the imaging with webcam primer.

Peter

Archived