Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In major need of assistance - Help me choose my new setup.

Hey Everyone!

I recently bought a 6" dobsonian Orion XT6. My current gear includes a 25mm and 10mm plossl eyepieces, a moon filter and an X class barlow. I am extremely interested in astronomy and can see this as being a lifelong hobby, possibly even a career. I am currently taking three astronomy courses and will likely be taking an observational astronomy course this summer. I live in Portland, OR, on the fringe of it but definitely within city limits and light pollution is a bit of an issue here.

With my background out of the way I am here pleading for assistance with deciding what to purchase. The 6" dob is amazing - However I find it to be heavy and a pain to transport. It takes up most of the area inside of my car, is heavy especially when I have to carry it downstairs and out of my apartment to view.

I am looking for something versatile, lightweight and long lasting. I want this to be a pretty serious scope, and right now I am quite interested in short tube refractors. My understanding is they need much less maintenance than reflectors and they are more efficient with light gathered in comparison to reflectors thus less aperture can yield similar or better results than larger reflectors.

I am considering a GoTo scope for easy viewing, plus I plan to attend star parties and use this scope in the presence of friends and family, the simplicity of the tracking with GoTo is a very big draw for me. The possibility of EQ mount + a drive system is also there, but this looks way more complicated. I was looking at some of the following scopes (see below), any recommendations on eyepieces, filters, or even different scopes would be appreciated. I would like to be able to do DSO's as well as planetary viewing but I am worried about chromatic aberration. Should I do larger aperture + a CA filter or do an apochromatic with a smaller aperture? I am also wondering if I should bother with 2 inch eyepieces and if i should stick with a simple set like the celestron linked below or if I should spend $100+ per eyepiece. I want this setup to be portable and awesome.

telescope.com/control/telescopes/refractor-telescopes/orion-astroview-120st-equatorial-refractor-telescope

telescope.com/control/telescopes/refractor-telescopes/orion-shorttube-80-equatorial-refractor-telescope

telescope.com/control/celestron/celestron-computerized-telescopes/celestron-nexstar-102-slt-computerized-telescope

telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/ioptronsmartstargr80gotogpsrefractortelescope.cfm (the GPS in this is cool but such a low price for this setup? This has to be junk right?)

telescope.com/control/celestron/celestron-accessories/celestron-1*25-inch-eyepiece-and-filter-accessory-kit

Sorry for the wall of text, but I have so many questions. If anyone has any links or resources I should look at let me know, I've spend HOURS on youtube and reading since I got my 6" dob and I've been just ITCHING to get something new. By the way I am prepared to spend up to $1000, i'm trying to stay somewhere between $500-$750 - Higher if needed. I am not interested in buying junk, i want a portable, reliable quality instrument and accessories that will yield be beautiful views. If anyone feels that a short tube refractor is not the right thing for me please say so. I look forward to hearing some advice!! Thanks so much!

- Jason

Jason,

I think only the 120 mm telescope would give you equivalent views to your 6" dob. If you are concerned about weight I would avoid an equatorial mount and go for a quality Alt-Az mount with a sturdy tripod instead. That's a lot lighter and quicker to set up.

If you choose GOTO you end up spending a lot of cash on the electronics and less on the optics, which is going to limit your views. If you are serious about astronomy invest the time to learn to push your telescope around the stars, that way you will impress your colleagues with your knowlege of the sky.

How about something like a Maksutov?

Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

This will give great views of the moon and planets - it's portable, it has goto and it is well within budget - so you can buy some nice eyepeices...

IMO it will outperform the 6" dob on Planets and Moon (and sun with the right filter). But it will not be as good as the DOB on Deep Sky objects.

You'll not get much better "bang for buck" on DSO's than a dob!

Ant

Thank you all for your replies, its certainly something to consider. I might just settle for a really cheap 80mm refractor, you can get them for a couple hundred bucks and get a fringe killer filter, this would suit my grab and go needs and then I can upgrade to something like a SCT when i get some cash, or if i get a bigger vehicle I will consider getting a bigger dob. I have a buddy that I just found out has a 16 inch meade light bridge, I'm gonna go check it out...I know its going to ruin me...:)

Archived