Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron dovetail

Hi all,

I'm new here, been lurking for a few weeks so decided to join. I have a question about my (first) scope and mount.

I bought a Celestron Astromaster 90 EQMD about 3 months ago and have enjoyed viewing the moon on several occasions. I bought a digital camera adaptor and have managed to take some reasonable photos too First moon / CelestronImages.com - astrophotography with optics from Celestron Telescopes..

The problem I have though is balancing the scope with the camera fitted, basically I cant. The Astromaster 90 has a very short dovetail so I can't slide the scope far enough forward. I have made enquiries to several scope dealers now with no joy.

I have enquired about tube rings and a dovetail bar but nobody can suggest rings that will fit. I would prefer a longer dovetail fitted directly to the OTA but not sure if they are a standard size and don't really want to have to drill the OTA. Failing that the only solution I can think of is adding weight to the objective end but don't really fancy that idea.

Anyone had similar issues or have a solution?

Thanks, Jon.

Archived