Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Marks on the moon

fahimpour

Hi fellow scientists,

I am carrying out a research at the moment with regards to the marks and lines on the moon.

I have seen pictures of the moon where it indicates that there is a visible mark in form of a "line" on the width on the moon splitting it

into two, almost equal, halves.

My question: I am wondering if you could provide me with an academic reference or a picture indicating this. I have seen pictures of some parts of it, but am not sure if it is really authentic.

Regards

... a visible mark in form of a "line" on the width on the moon splitting it into two, almost equal, halves.

Are you referring to the Terminator? It's the borderline between the sunlit and shadowed portions of the Moon when it's in the 1st or 3rd Quarter phase.

I did a bit of research, too.

It appears that the name "Rocky Belt" (which you supplied) leads to a religious site which uses this APOD image of the Ariadaeus Rille to illustrate what you were supposedly asking us about.

Please be informed that SGL does not allow discussions about religious matters, so there's nothing else we can help you with.

Have a nice day. :)

My question: I am wondering if you could provide me with an academic reference or a picture indicating this. I have seen pictures of some parts of it, but am not sure if it is really authentic.

Regards

You're quite right, it isn't authentic. We have some astounding lunar images in the imaging section of the forum, please feel free to browse through them, i'm sure you wont find what you are looking for.

Cheers

TJ

Archived