NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to install with CdC

Hello all, we have had a good rundown on how to install Stellarium and what goes with it but it has not worked on my machine, too basic ;). I would like to install CdC and would like a similar rundown of what to install and in what order. If anyone can help would be happy, ta.

Jim

It really depends what you want to use it for...

I have about 4 GB of extra catalogs installed on mine but that needs a fairly hefty machine to handle them all...

So as well as the "standard" catalogs I have got...

Stars...

Tycho 2 parts 1 & 2 down to mag 11

UCAC3 3 parts + idx - Extends Tycho 2 down to mag 16

Nebulae...

NGC

IC

LBN

RC3

OCL

GCM

GPN

LDN

C

Galaxies

PGC

This lot does allow me to go "fuzzy" hunting in images for people...

Peter...

I'd recommend the Carte du Ciel V3.

Free cartes du ciel v3.1 Download - cartes du ciel v3.1 Files

It is basically a self install .exe file which will give you the Bright Star catalogue of 6,000 stars and the basic Messier objects.

As Peter said, if you want to access more fainter stars and fainter DSO's the additional catalogues are almost endless.

Does this help??

Ken

Okay, looks like I made an error here :) . I wish to control my telescope from the computer, Stellarium don't work on my XP so I am going to use CdC, what software do I need and what is the order of install. If a list of the software and drivers required could be put on here it would be great ;) .

Jim

Jm,

I assume you have the usb/ serial cable needed between the computer and the mount.....

Once connected you can use the "telescope" tab in CdC; select your celestron model and click "connect" - that will allow you to control the mount from within CdC.

Hope this helps.

Archived