Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Three galaxies - one was special

mdstuart

I managed to collect three more galaxies for my log tonight before the cloud came over...

All three are below the plough. First NGC 3893. This was visible in the low power eyepeice and with high power hinted at some structure. It has a mag 13.8 star which looks like a nova embeded in it. On the photos the spiral arms are bright which might explain the odd shape at the eyepeice.

On to NGC 3949. Now this was brighter. Visible with direct vision. Seems more enlongated than the photos would suggest.

Finally NGC 3877. Now this was fainter. Only visible with averted vision. Its mag 11.8 with a sbr of 13.8...It was worth it as its one of those edge on slithers. It looks fine in the photos. Next weeks desktop I feel.

So a good night...Up to 276 galaxies now...;)

Enjoy the last few moonless nights...

Mark

It's great to have a project. Galaxy hunting is a very exciting activity, and one where a discovery (S/nova)is always a possibility, if you study them that is.

Anyway, congrats on adding to your log. You seem dedicated to your goal.

Good Luck Mark.;)

Ron.

Archived