Useful reading?

Hi guys I'm wondering if any of you could suggest some good literature to accompany me while observing. Currently, I'm using the 'Young Astronomer's Handbook' which must date back to the seventies looking at the graphics and information inside - think it belonged to my old man and it's seen better days.

I'd like something that's obviously a bit more up to date but includes lots of information about the different targets in the constellations and tips on how to find them.

Regards,

Gareth :headbang:

Gareth,

One of the best books to accompany you while observing is Turn Left at Orion. It goes through 100 popular objects, how to find them and their context, an excellent read on its own as well. Amazon have them for a touch under £18 for the hardback version.

Regards

Steve..

Thanks for your post, Paxo, I've heard about this book and will probably take a look on Waterstone's or W.H. Smith's at some point and have a look.

Would you recommend the use of a planisphere? I have Stellarium installed on my laptop but can't take it along with me anywhere. Staying at home and using it isn't that feasible either as light pollution is really bad and spoils my view of the sky.

Gareth :headbang:

Mrs. Yeti found my 1998 copy of Patrick Moores Altas of the Universe the other day, which I had totally forgotten about. I've been reading and studying it as I travelled back to work and whilst off shift in my cabin. It has thousands of targets and nicely details star charts od the constellations, which I think will make fuzzy hunting a lot easier (once the cleods clear orft). Patricks wit is ever present in the text and he has good advise about what targets are worth looking at and what equipment is going to pull them in, or not.

A rather bulky tome to carry about whilst observing, perhaps, but excellent reference material. I saw the latest version in Waterstones before chrimbomas but didn't buy it, good thing as I already had this copy stashed away.

I have a small planesphere, but there's no way my fading occular sensory devices can deal with the tiny wee dots, I do plan to buy a large one with granny size dots to use as a guide whilst oot and aboot. The MKII Dob base will have a wee foot locker to keep such essentials in.

Gareth,

I have a copy of Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas, which I look through often & its spiral bound so you can fold it back on it's self when outside.

Also have Turn left at Orion, the Cambridge Sky atlas, Various Philips guides plus others collected over the years, prior to having a scope.

Of all the books I have the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas is my favourite

Regards,

If you want to print off star maps with as much, or just basic info, in colour or black and white, download the free program TUBA from Pilip s Harringtons web site, stick it in a clear plastic document sleeve and take it outside with you.

John.

Archived